Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Question About Restraining Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJD112

Hello, at a summer program for my university, I was harrassed by this one 28-year-old woman, also a student. She was offended that I had reported some threatening and potentially racist and homophobic activity on campus. She began by saying that I was telling on people for no reason, and not leaving me alone, but it started to get much worse

1. She would make gun gestures towards me at class

2. She would also mumble statements like "I'll gut you like a fish" as I walked through the halls

3. The last night there, she was being blatently provocative and harrassing in the dining hall, and after dinner, ganged students up to harrass me. It got so bad that I could not study for a final and was forced to leave campus for a few hours.

4. In a similar vein, she also would stare at me excessively during meals, so much so, that I would have to switch tables several times over the course of a meal.

5. She also made fun of me for having trouble with some crew exercises, even though the reason I had trouble was because I am DISABLED and on MEDICATION (she knows this too)

I have already told the director of the program about the abuse, several people working the program have witnessed some of it. I've also notified the police, and because of the fact that she not only goes to the same college as me, but has the same major, I cannot risk being harrassed, and I am considering taking some type of legal action.

I have several questions:

1. In New York State, can one file a restraining order against a fellow student, and for threatening statements and harrassing behavior. I know restraining orders are usually for those who have dated or were married to victim, as far as I know, but if I can't, is there some type of option.

2. How much would a restraining order cost and would there be court costs.

3. Do I have to file in the county that the harrassment took place (St. Lawrence), or can I file anywhere from in the state or country (our school is in Onondaga, I'm in NJ, she's from TX).

4. Also, this might seem like a stupid question, but would it be federal instead of state, due to us being residents of different states, and that the incident took place in neither one of our states of residency.

5. Also, would I face expulsion from the school for filing a restraining order, since the main campus is on a small piece of land and she was enrolled at the school before I was.

Email me at tjdavi04@syr.edu if you can.

1. In New York State, can one file a restraining order against a fellow student, and for threatening statements and harrassing behavior. I know restraining orders are usually for those who have dated or were married to victim, as far as I know, but if I can't, is there some type of option.

A: Ask the court clerk where these are filed; get blank copies of the petition.

2. How much would a restraining order cost and would there be court costs.

A: See answer above.

3. Do I have to file in the county that the harrassment took place.

A: Yes.

4. Also, this might seem like a stupid question, but would it be federal instead of state, due to us being residents of different states, and that the incident took place in neither one of our states of residency.

A: State.

5. Also, would I face expulsion from the school for filing a restraining order, since the main campus is on a small piece of land and she was enrolled at the school before I was.

A: Ask the school.

Nothing you have indicated in your post indicates any justiciable harassment. But, you never know; try filing it and see what happens.

Yeah, but...

"Nothing you have indicated in your post indicates any justiciable harassment."

Correct me if I am wrong, but I know even idle threats can be prosecuted. I know somebody who was threatened with prostitution for something that was said on a website (ie: something to the effect of "I will hurt you"). What this person that was harrassing me did was more overt!

"Nothing you have indicated in your post indicates any justiciable harassment."

Correct me if I am wrong, but I know even idle threats can be prosecuted. I know somebody who was threatened with prostitution for something that was said on a website (ie: something to the effect of "I will hurt you"). What this person that was harrassing me did was more overt!

How do you threaten someone with prostitution?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back