Question about parking tickets in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

caburokas

I'm in Chicago, too, and just got a notice of tickets supposedly not paid in 1990 and 1991! After all this time, I have absolutely no proof of having paid them, but believe that I must have, as I have always paid promptly. Do I have any recourse? Would it do any good to go in person to the Central Hearing Facility and complain, beg, or scold?

Q: Do I have any recourse?

A: Yes; pay the tickets and keep a copy of your canceled check this time.

Q: Would it do any good to go in person to the Central Hearing Facility and complain, beg, or scold?

A: You're in Chicago; what do you think?

Wait, wait--not so fast!

I wouldn't necessarily rush out and pay these tickets. The city of Chicago is notoriously bad about their record keeping on matters like this.

First, I would see if you could check bank records from that time. Perhaps your bank can look them up if you have been with them since that time.

Second, what is the status of these unpaid tickets? Is this the first notice on them? Are they in "determination" or "final determination." The reason is, it is not unusual for the city to "find" old tickets they have never acted upon and send notice on these tickets YEARS later. I personally have, on multiple occasions, received first notice on tickets that allegedly occurred over five years ago on one occasion and three years on another. In the first, case I was able to convince the hearing officer that, even though there is technically no statute of limitation on Chicago parking tickets, I was being denied due process by the fact that there was no way for me to put together a strong defense as some much time has elapsed since the ticket was originally, allegedly issued. The second time I used this defense I lost, but the case in currently on appeal in circuit court where I'm reasonably confident I will have the original decision overturned.

If they are still current tickets and not in final determination, go ahead and fight them. If they are in final determination, your ability to fight these tickets is probably gone.

3-As far as payment, it would depend on a few things as well. Do you still have the vehicle and/or license plate the tickets were issued to? If not, it may not matter as the city cannot boot a vehicle or license plate that does not exist. Currently, the Dept. of Revenue has no way to cross match an owner's license plates. If this is the case, screw 'em! Don't pay.

It would also, depend on the number of tickets as three is the trigger for a boot. Again, if the vehicle or plate doesn't exist, I would blow it off.

However, if it more than 10 tickets, you risk the possibility of having your driver's license being revoked by the Secretary of State.

Hope this helps. If you have more info you want to share or want some additional info, check out our blog at: www.theexpiredmeter.com or e-mail me at: info@theexpiredmeter.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back