Question about hiring an unlicensed, unbonded housekeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggruse

It is my understanding that whenever you have someone perform work in your home, the worker(s) should be licensed and bonded. I live in the state of Michigan and am planning on hiring a housekeeper that is unlicensed and unbonded. She is from another country, and I am uncertain if she is a U.S. citizen. She will be coming to our home once a week or every other week. Is there a form that I could have her sign that would protect us in the event that either she is injured in our home or in the event that she damages something within our home? or is there something else that we should do? or should we not even hire her? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

A practical question is whether you can find an affordable housekeeper who is willing to post bond to work in your home. Do you think a person earning a few dollars an hour can put up the kind of bond you are seeking? Going through an agency might alleviate your concern regarding liability.

It is my understanding that many commercial companies need to post bond to do the kind of work you are suggesting. I am not sure if that would apply to housekeepers and wonder what protections you might get through an agency. If you go through another party, you would likely want them to do the research to ensure proper VISA, etc. but the agency too needs to be researched as well. I'm sure there are plenty of fly-by-night operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back