Question about Car Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowanEmilyK

I was with my mom visiting a college in Omaha yesterday, and we parked our car in a parking lot pretty much connected to the hotel, which they asked if we want to get a parking pass for there, and we payed 6$ to park there. The next morning we walked out and it was gone. The big guys from the hotel came down and said that the parking garage doesn't belong to them but they have a contract with the bank connected to the hotel. So the guys from the bank came and said that the ticket we got when going into the lot that says the time we enter said they aren't responisble for it either. In the end, everyone just kept saying our insurance covers it. Are either parties (the hotel or bank) liable for this?? Doesn't the $6 go as a contract for something? Can someone help, we were from out of town too, so we have to pay to go back to Omaha if they find it and pick it up we also had to pay for a rental. Is there any legal actions avaible???

Thanks

EMILY K from Iowa

if it would be easy to answer that...

First of all: look at your ticket or any big signs posted on the parking lot. Very often the owners of a lot post pretty clearly on both that anyone who parks there assumes the risk alone.

Even if this is the case, and especially if this is not the case, there could be some liability by the possessor of the land. That depends among other things on how foreseeable such an occurrence was. If a car is being stolen from that lot every week then it seems highly likely that the owner or those in charge should do something to increase security. If this was the first case in 10 years it is much harder to argue this way.

So what you could do is talk to your insurance guy. Figure out how much of the loss you really have to carry, by costs not covered and by possible increases in your premium.

If it is worth it, then consult an attorney about this. Try to get as much information for him as possible: any rules and restrictions on the lot (like signs postet etc.), size and location, the kind of neighborhood etc etc.

If they notice that you might be serious about a lawsuit then the owner or the hotel might be willing to settle.

Good luck

Only place it said it about was on the ticket, it said I got..

Also, when talking to a security guy, he said something that got me thinking. He said lately that this guy has been poping locks off cars but no car have been stolen, is that anything like you were talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back