Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Question about both fraud and theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

purtman

Please bear with me. Part of this could be a landlord/tenant issue but there's also fraud outside of this involved so I thought that this is the best section to put this in.
At the end of December, we rented our house in Kansas City, MO to two tenants whom we'll refer to as "Bonnie" & "Clyde". We checked their references, and they all checked out okay. As it turns out, they provided us with fake references. One of their landlord references actually happened to be Bonnie's mother. Within two months, we had them evicted. They stole roughly $2,000 from our home, including a riding lawn mower, two wheelbarrows, even closet shelves and other items that were physically mounted to the wall. The KCPD keeps telling us this is a landlord/tenant issue. They also illegally operated an unlicensed daycare.
After they left us, they moved to another place, claiming we were foreclosing on our house. At the new house, they continued to run this daycare. They asked one of the parents of the children to front them $6,200 for Bonnie's chemo treatments (she doesn't really have cancer). They said the parent could deduct the daycare fees from the amount owed. When the parent found out that both Bonnie and Clyde have felony records, they confronted Bonnie. Bonnie agreed to pay the parent the money on Friday, July 31. That same week (July 27-31), Bonnie's daycare was closed because Clyde was "in the hospital", which he was not. Prior to that, Bonnie had accumulated payments from many of the parents in advance for the daycare. On July 31, when the parent was supposed to meet Bonnie, he went by and found the house was vacated. Bonnie and Clyde skipped town. Many of the parents went by on Monday, August 3 to drop off their kids and found that Bonnie and Clyde had skipped town with their tuition.
Bonnie and Clyde also defrauded their son's baseball team of money.
As it turns out, Bonnie and Clyde are felons in multiple states. Clyde gave the Wisconsin police a fake address for where he lived on his previous arrest but they are unaware of this.
The KCPD doesn't really want to get involved. They don't seem to care.
These people have been ripping people off for over 12 years. What can we do to get them in jail back in Missouri?
Thanks in advance

Not a lot. The most you can really do to them is go after them for the missing items. You may have to file a claim in small claims court, but I would think the police would have done something about the missing items.

As for all of the other fraud, this is not your problem, as you were not the victim. And if you kept pressing all of the fraud stuff with the police, that may be why they didn't do anything with regard to your situation.

What we have to ask here is how do you know what they said to the parents of the kids? If you didn't witness this first hand, then it is considered hearsay. You weren't there, and cannot verify first hand what happened.

So, the best thing to do is to wash your hands of the daycare and fraud, and anything else that you yourself were not a victim of. There's nothing you can do about it.

tpaJet,
Thanks for the info. I had approached the KCPD about the missing items and how we were given all of the fake references and other stuff related to us before any of the daycare parents got involved. I told them about running an unlicensed daycare (with six kids) in our house and they pretty much blew me off. When my wife had her purse snatched when we first moved to KC, it was the same thing. When I told the police that my riding lawn mower was taken, they told me they couldn't do anything about it. This was even after Bonnie told them that she and her husband took it and also after I showed the police our communications which said that they couldn't remove anything from our house.
As far as the parents are concerned, one of the parents contacted me about the fraud. With all that's gone on, we figured the KCPD would at least do something. They lived in KC for less than a year and ripped people off for over $30,000. We were hoping something would be done.

As

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back