Quiet Enjoyment Queit Enjoyment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootall

I am currently renting a house in California that is a three on a lot with the owner occupying the back house. I am on Section 8 and it is stipulated that I be the sole person living at the property. Six months into the lease I became involved with a woman that lives in a roommate situation and therefore when we spend the night together it is always at my home. She is not there unless I am and does not spend every night with me. Some nights she will only spend a few hours with me before I take her to her home.
The problem arises from the landlord saying that she spends every night there and therefore must not have a home of her own. Even though I have told her this is not so she says that I am lying and has now giving me a 3 day "Notice to Perform Covenant". Further stipulating that I can only have her visit "2 to 3 days in any 7 day period". This seems to violate my "Quiet Enjoyment" rights to property that I am paying for. In the rules sheet she had me sign it states that I may not have anyone reside at the property past 10 days which I am aware of and have not had anyone stay anywhere close to that time frame.
She placed repeated voice mails to be that were very insulting saying that I had in fact I had her stay with me for over three weeks so that meant she was residing in the property. I wrote her a letter stating that this was absolutely not true and explained why. She then writes me a letter stating that I am obviously lying and that she knows that a woman would not spend time with me if she had her own place to live. This has frightened my girlfriend as she feels that the landlord doesnot like her because she is Asian.
After the second letter I had my girlfriend over to the house because we are both in technical schools and do homework together, but she did not stay overnight, I took her to her home at 11:00PM. Then over the weekend I did have her spend the night as we had plans for the morning hours.
The next letter said that I was disregarding her instructions and had violated the lease. And that she would take action unless I complied with her stipulations. I don't know how to comply with the unreasonableness of this woman. Even if my girlfriend only visits for a few hours in the evening the LL will say that she is living there.

You can't stop her from bringing an eviction if she wants to pursue it, but it sounds like you can easily defend yourself if she does. Do your best to comply with the terms of the lease you signed. If she is setting new rules she will have to get you on a new lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back