Qstn Re: Settlement Agreement to Finalize Divorce

hondaguy15

Jurisdiction
California
Jurisdiction: State of CA, County of Sacramento, William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse.

Case Facts:

I am the Petitioner and filed for a divorce on 3/20/2017, In Pro Per.
Defendant has filed a Response.
This is an uncontested divorce; we were married for less than one year.
There is not any outstanding debt or assets to be settled or divided.
Both parties waive their rights to spousal support.
There are no children involved.

I have been working with the Family Law Facilitators Office and they have confirmed that all appropriate filings have been completed up until this point. In their correspondence dated 8/31/2017, they state the next step would be to finish the case by stipulation or agreement. Unfortunately, the facilitator's office has indicated they are unable to assist any further beyond this point.

It is my understanding that I need to file the following to finish the case:

• FL-170 Declaration for Default of Uncontested Dissolution or Legal Separation
  • FL-180 Judgement
  • FL-190 Notice of Entry of Judgement

Must I also file FL-130? (Appearance, Stipulations, and Waivers)

**It is also my understanding that I must include a "written agreement." Is there a template or Judicial Council form for the written agreement?

• What information must it include?
  • Signature(s) requires a Notary? If so, of both the Petitioner and Respondent? Although the divorce is uncontested, we do not want to have to meet up for a Notary (goodbyes are difficult).
Is there anything else that I'm missing to finish the case? I feel like I'm so close, but yet so far from closing this chapter. Any help is appreciated!

In CA, paralegals can offer assistance by assisting a filer with completing documents.

Search & you might find.

In CA, paralegals can offer assistance by assisting a filer with completing documents.

That's not correct. "It is unlawful for a paralegal to perform any services for a consumer except as performed under the direction and supervision of the attorney, law firm, corporation, government agency, or other entity that employs or contracts with the paralegal." Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code section 6451. "[A] paralegal shall not do the following: . . . (3) Select, explain, draft, or recommend the use of any legal document to or for any person other than the attorney who directs and supervises the paralegal." Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code section 6450(b).

Nobody on the internet is going to be able to (or even allowed to) give you step by step legal advice.

The CA court website has an excellent self-help section

Agree. The other source you should look at is the Rutter Group's Family Law practice guide, which you can peruse at the Sacramento County Public Law Library.

Back