Q about land rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfdragonboy

I have an issue I was wondering if someone could help me out with. Here's the story:

I was driving down the road near my home and my cell phone rang. i pulled off on the side of the road to answer it. now, i pulled into this small dirt path that had a gate pretty much right there as u pull in that said no trespassing. the distance from the road to this gate is no more than 10-15 ft, just enough for a car to pull into without still being in the road. i was on the phone for about 5-10 minutes when some guy started banging on my window. not knowing who this man was i quickly reversed my car to get out of there not knowing that this guy blocked me in. i banged into the side of his pickup truck and then got out of the car. he then explained that this is his property and im trespassing and he was having me arrested after the cops came for the accident that just occured.

my question is: Is there a certain distance from a main road where a person's property legally starts? If anyone at all can help me with this issue I would very much apreciate it. Thank you.

How much of a shoulder is there on the road which you were travelling?

Are you saying that the dirt road has a gate on the side or the front of the road that blocks entry? If the latter, it would seem to me that the owner of the road implies that the private area begins with the gate that blocks access and the property owner would have a difficult defense in that instance.

You were most likely in an easement area. If so, it wouldn't matter if the property line ran all the way to the middle of the street.

- Paul Sisilli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back