purchased a vehicle put title in someone elses name

sdiawara

I purchased a car and put the title in someone else's name because i didn't have a license or insurance. The person whos name it is under insured the vehicle and drove me to and from. Now that we've broken up i want my vehicle back and they are refusing. I have a phone call recording between us where I say i want my car out of her name and she says she put insurance on MY car. What can i do?

You made a mistake and now she's taking advantage of it. I don't think you will get very far with the recording of the phone call but you can always meet with an attorney and see what they think.

You likely gave that person a car. You could try to resolve it yourselves or through the civil court. A small claims court could potentially order reimbursement of a certain amount.
You apparently have something to work with that indicates the vehicle was not intended to be or believed to be a gift, so you might get somewhere. Sometimes simply filing and serving court papers is enough to get the other party to be reasonable about it.

It's too late now but you shouldn't have bought a car & put the title in someone else's name. You can sue in small claims court in Ohio for up to $3,000. (for your info)

You've got a problem even going to small claims court unless the money to purchase the car was a loan and you were supposed to be paid back at a certain time. This is because if you were engaging in an illegal act to circumvent the law, the law will not step in to help you. As is often said, you must not come into court with "unclean hands" in order to ask the court to help you clean up the mess.

In addition, how can you drive a car without insurance? How would you get an insurance policy on a car which is not yours? Did you intend to drive the car without a license? Have you been driving the car without a license? These are questions you should think about before going to court. You are under oath, swearing to tell the truth under the penalty of perjury. I'm sorry about the problem but this was not a good idea.

Back