Purchase price advertised

j1h8

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Recently purchased a used vehicle that I initiated on their website. I took it for a test drive and decided to purchase it. I never saw a price on the truck or anything. The internet pricing that was on their site and all the aggregators was the only one I saw. I made clear to them I was interested in cash back if they could manage it and they said they could because they had the flexibility of charging like 120% of a vehicle's value in the financing. They said they could do way more than I needed in cash back and I said 5k was enough. So we do the paperwork and everything seems good. I will be getting the 5k check in the future. I signed a 'we owe you' thing for my money amount. I was reviewing the paperwork and I did the math and it turns out the base 'purchase price' is actually over 6k more than the price that was advertised online instead of the 5k I'm getting back. I never negotiated price, I was willing to pay the asking price because I knew it was a good fair price (that's why I wanted it). The only thing we even discussed was how much cash back, and a trade-in offer that I declined.

I accept the idea that they could have made a mistake (they made another honest one that I corrected because of old systems) so I will confront them about it. But assuming the possibility they just tell me I should've done the math and crosscheck correctly, and that's what I agreed to, are there laws against charging more than what you're advertising on a purchase price? This is all before fees and addons etc. So it's not that. Honestly it's still a fair deal so I'm not hugely upset about it but I'm not letting over 1k go if I don't have to and especially if they did it on purpose.

Last edited:
I would bet that somewhere on the website you visited there is a notice that prices advertised may not be actual current prices. Go back and look for it.
Also, the price could have been adjusted in order to provide the amount you wanted in cash.
Your first stop should be the finance department to get an explanation. In the end, your opportunity to address this was prior to signing the agreement.

Back