public school term contract

Dean

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am a public school administrator on a 226 day contract. I am increasingly being asked to work Saturdays and holidays putting me far above the 226 days. I am a long time educator and understand, accept, and believe in the sacrifices that come with public service, but I also have a family that I am increasingly being required to spend more time apart from. What recourse do I have?

I am a public school administrator on a 226 day contract. I am increasingly being asked to work Saturdays and holidays putting me far above the 226 days. I am a long time educator and understand, accept, and believe in the sacrifices that come with public service, but I also have a family that I am increasingly being required to spend more time apart from. What recourse do I have?

You can discuss your contract and its terms with your superiors, the board, or the superintendent.

If you are a union member, you can discuss the contract with your union officials.

You are free to discuss your employment concerns and any mployment c0ontract violations with any attorney you wish.

Good luck.....

You are also free to refuse the extra work days and risk not having your contract renewed for the following year.

If you value your weekends, do not become an administrator. It just isn't a M-F, 9-5 job. I would be shocked if your contract provided extra pay beyond the 226 days or had anything in it prohibiting weekend work. As an exempt employee, you are not entitled to extra pay for "extra" time worked. You are paid to get the job done, period. There is a 99.9% chance the contract spells out the minimum number of days, not maximum.

Back