Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse public intoxication

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezneez

Hey everyone,
Heres the story...bare with me please. I go to a small college in WV. Last night, there was apparently some vandalism going on in the dorms. My friends and i happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It was around 12:40a.m., we were in a stairwell saying our goodbyes when an RA came down the stairs and told us to stay there. She told another RA to call campus police. Everyone but my roommate and I took off and got away. We patiently waited for the officer to arrive.

When he got there, it was quickly established that we had nothing to do with the vandalism. The officer then tells us that we smell like marijuana. He proceeds to give us the follow my finger with your eyes only test (yes, thats a technical term). He didnt tell us how we did at this point.

Next, he started asking us if he could search our room, eventually we told him ok. He brought the dog into our room and found nothing but some rollling papers which he tried to tell me was paraphanaleia. At this point, another officer arrives. The second officer took my roommates hat around a corner and placed it in the middle of a hall out of our view. The first officer lead the dog directly to the hat repeating "find it, find it." We were not told what the dog did nor could we see what she did. The officers asked us to follow them to the station.

Once we got to the station, the officer started asking if he could search my car. I initially said no because i know my rights. He started telling me that he would have my car towed and would get a search warrant because he had enough evidence against me. I figured this was BS, but to avoid the hassle i told him to go right ahead. To his dismay, he found nothing.

Now, he began writing public intoxication citations for my roommate and I. We questioned why he was doing this and he said because we smelled like marijuana and failed the eye test. I asked how we failed and he told me "your um eyes didnt uh respond." They also at this point told us that the dog hit on my roommates hat.

I would like to plea not guilty because i don't think he has evidence to say we were intoxicated in public, however, i realize that it would be our word against his in court. I would like to know what defines public intoxication, and in your opinion, does the officer have a good case? Also, if i plea guilty, what would be the penalty? Is smell alone enough to say that someone is under the influence of marijuana?

Thank YOU!

Darn tootin you need to plead not guilty in court.
Sounds like you might have some valid complaints to make against these officers as well.
However, the biggest problem is that seem to have consented to just about everything. If you say no then mean no and don't change your mind. These officers played you way too easy... you were a pushover.

Regarding the citation it will be super easy to beat. The officers apparently did not get any blood or urine from you to verify their findings. They have zero evidence. Also, I don't think the dorms is not exactly a public place. It is essentially your residence which probably has somewhat restricted access from the general public.

I don't know for sure about WV law, but a major component of a public intox offense is that the officers must have reason to believe that you are unable to care for your own safety or that of others... that hardly seems to be the case, and they allowed you to drive to the station AFTER they tested you pretty much defeats their claim.

These officers should be beaten with rubber hoses.

deff. retain an attorney for this. Your attorney can hopefully get this case dismised. If they really thought you were under the influence they would not of allowed you to drive to the station.Good luck.

It still sounds like an incredibly weak case as you describe it.

I agree. I went to the magistrate court today and spoke with the magistrate and filled out a motion to dissmis form. Now what im worried about is the person in charge of violations in the dorms. I got an email from his this morning charging me with this...

Charges: Residential Education Policies/Alcohol (Possession, Use, or Sale of Alcohol)

Residential Education Policies/Behavior Related to Consumption of Alcohol or Drugs

Residential Education Policies/Drugs (Controlled Substances)/Possession/Use

Residential Education Policies/Drugs (Controlled Substances)/Drug Paraphernalia

Yes..all of that. For what, I dont know. All I know is that a small situation is looking like its getting out of hand.

Also, the officer told me he found marijuana seeds in my car, but not enough to charge me with anything. He did not take them out, and he did not show me. I vacuumed my car today and found nothing. Is he going to be able to use this against me?

Last edited:
The officer has no evidence.
The charges from the folks at the dorm are based on the same non-existent evidence.
Look into an appeal procedure regarding that. I suspect if you can show them that the case was dismissed then you will be fine. They would have to justify any action they take against you, and they won't be able to do so with this weak report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back