Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Public Intox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janamie

Hi guys - Thanks for checking out my post, even though there are (quite literally) hundreds of threads on public intoxication. I really appreciate it.

Last month I was arrest for public intoxication. I guess I strayed away from my friends and tried to find a place to sleep, which ended up being a church. Anyway, the police caught me and took me in to the drunk tank for the night. I stayed until the next morning and was told I could post bail. Upon leaving, I was given my ticket with a court date, paid for what I think was the bail ($160) and was given a receipt, was issued a jail fee of $35 (which I havent paid yet), was finger-printed and sent on my way.

I have a couple of questions about the situation, since I'm a bit confused. This is my first incident on an otherwise clean record. #1: On my receipt for my bail, there is a citation number that is the SAME as the one on the ticket I was given.... Does this mean that I paid for my fine as well? I thought it was just my bail, but after seeing the code on my receipt, I feel as if that WAS my fine. #2: There is a court date (for next week) that I'm not sure if I should attend.... Do I? What if I am unable to make it that very day? Do you think I could reschedule the court date? #3: I am not able to afford an attorney, but am unsure if I really need one in my case. How serious would my trial actually be? I have no idea what to expect and if I'm going to be charged with more penalties/fines.

I've been able to keep this incident a secret from family and friends and continue to do so.... But I have no one to ask for advice. ANY information you have would be really appreciated, guys. Thanks for your time.

You don't need a private attorney. Ask for the public defender if you need representation.

Call the court and find out if you are expected there next week... it sounds like you are. If you fail to show up they will issue a warrant for your arrest. This is petty and not worth that hassle... show up, say you are sorry, and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back