Public funds subsidizing a private venture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preschool guy

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I own a private preschool in the state of New Jersey. Recently, the school board informed the public that , due to a decline in the student population they plan to vacate one of their school buildings but offer it as a subsidized rental to a private company for the purpose of running a Preschool on the property. As a subsidized school, with much of the overhead being covered by taxpayer dollars, they will be able to offer a program at a fraction of what a totally private venture like my school would charge. I'm left scratching my head as to why the taxpayers would agree to this but also I am wondering how the local municipal government can chose to subsidize one private company at the expense of another. My location is less than a mile from this former public grade school so we will definitely be harmed if this is allowed to proceed.

are there socioeconomically disadvantaged families in the district that cannot afford private preschool? That would be my guess as to the reason at the top of the list.... well that and they are looking for a good use of the property that brings in at least some of the costs of having the property.

You can attend board meetings and ask questions from the public and try to get a group together to stop it, but if there is a true need, it's probably less expensive than the district opening a preschool on their own with full costs (for totally free to taxpayers). But generally many people pay no attention to board meetings until something comes up that they are against. How often have you actually attended a school board meeting since your preschool has been in business?

We are in one of the weathiest counties in the nation and the only county in New Jersey with a declining student population, thus the decision to repurpose what was a grade school. My school is one of the largest single taxpayors in the township. My tax dollars will be used to subsidize a competitor with an unfair advantage over me. I have attended many meetings. Missed this one.

a declining student population, thus the decision to repurpose what was a grade school.

Governments need revenue. Seems reasonable to me to use the building to get revenue in addition to tax money.

My tax dollars will be used to subsidize a competitor with an unfair advantage over me.

Well, talk to an attorney. See if you are willing to pay the price to go to court and seek an injunction against the new use of the building.

Thanks. Was hoping that this forum might provide some guidance in this regard.

You need to hire yourself a lawyer to litigate on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back