Copyright Public domain characters: expired copyright vs. current trademark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanaleaf

I'm confused about copyright law vs. trademark law with regard to the use of characters derived from literary works in the public domain, and hoping for some clarification and guidance.

For instance, literary characters such as Dracula or Frankenstein are in the public domain, because their original copyrights have long since expired (the original novels having been published prior to 1922).

But what if a movie studio produces a film involving such characters, and then somehow "trademarks" these characters? In the first place, how can they do so if these characters are in the public domain? And in the second place, does doing so mean that no one else can use these characters in movies or novels of their own?

For instance, if I wanted to write a screenplay which was a direct sequel to the original novel "Dracula," would I be legally free to use that public domain novel's characters in my own original screenplay -- not just the character of Count Dracula himself, but also, say, the character of vampire hunter extraordinaire Professor Van Helsing? Or does the fact that Universal has produced a 2004 feature entitled "Van Helsing" (and in association with which, which it has evidently trademarked "Van Helsing") put that character off limits to would-be sequel writers?

Last edited:
Trademark and copyright law are very different although they can be related. In can be disappointing to discover how the expiration of a copyright can still result in the material being of limited use to the public due to trademark law. But here is what I found using the US Patent and Trademark Office's website - It seems to provide a trademark for the Van Helsing name that is limited in scope and may not cover what you are hoping to do.

Word Mark VAN HELSING
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: interactive and multimedia computer software for all platforms of applications concerning major motion pictures. FIRST USE: 20040500. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20040500

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 76561816
Filing Date November 24, 2003
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 28, 2004
Registration Number 2977875
Registration Date July 26, 2005
Owner (REGISTRANT) UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS LLLP USI-UCS Holdings LLC, a Delaware limited liability company LIMITED LIABILITY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP DELAWARE 100 Universal City Plaza Universal City CALIFORNIA 91608
(LAST LISTED OWNER) UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 100 UNIVERSAL CITY PLAZA 1280/6 UNIVERSAL CITY CALIFORNIA 91608

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record MONIQUE CHENG JOE
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Other Data The name, VAN HELSING, does not identify a living individual.
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Thanks for responding, although I must admit that I'm not quite sure how to interpret/understand the precise meaning of the information you located...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back