PTIN

scgator14

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am a CPA and am contracting with a different CPA firm during Tax Season. I have my own PTIN and have had this for a long time. I want to keep this clean so that no problems will exist.

In working here, there are circumstances that have emerged that are very difficult. In the firm, they are predominately Chinese and work a lot with people that are in some state of immigration. From what I understand these people need work to properly acquire their VISA's to America.

The IRS, PTIN Requirements for Tax Return Preparers | Internal Revenue Service, REQUIRES all preparers to have a PTIN. There is no fee. There are two paths, one if you are a citizen the other if you are a "foreign national" and there are different forms used to acquire the PTIN. Irrelevant as to which one or a person's status, it is required to prepare a return. The owner, a CPA, says he WANTS the people to have their own PTIN. He did NOT require them to have their individual PTIN. They are using mine to prepare the work. I am reviewing all returns and have found egregious errors, some that could lead to a criminal charge for fraud. I have on MULTIPLE occasions said I can no longer allow my PTIN to be used but this has fallen on deaf ears. They do nothing. Have also told the administrators of THEIR potential liability, the IRS doing an anal cavity check, having nine separate offices would lead the Service to investigate all offices and the potential of the firm losing its ability to E-File, losing the ERO capability. It does not seem to matter, they are taking a blind eye to this.

I KNOW this is NOT a tax issue, more of a tax PREPARER issue but it all comes down to the same thing. I have already requested the IRS grant me a new PTIN. They are currently conducting an investigation. There is NO way I can produce the number of returns that have been filed on my PTIN so I feel confident I will be exonerated. But I just do not want to go through the hassle this will cause.

Suggestions? Could we stick to the facts and, if there are facts that are not clear, ask and I can make clear. I would like advice but avoid caustic criticism and insults. I trust this will not happen here but have seen this occur on other forums. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Suggestions? Could we stick to the facts

Yeah, the fact is that you need to get your butt out of that company, notify the IRS as to what they are doing, cancel your PTIN so it can't be used and get a new one.

Otherwise, when this house of cards collapses, it collapses on you.

Back