Protecting Innovation - can employer sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw

I have a new innovation that is related in nature to the work I do at my company. I developed this at my own time and resources. My question is, do I have the right to seek protection (e.g. patent) for this innovation, or does my company have a case for owning it (since the innovation is related to the work done by my company). I did not sign anything that says that anything I develop will become the company's property. Any advice?

I have a new innovation that is related in nature to the work I do at my company. I developed this at my own time and resources. My question is, do I have the right to seek protection (e.g. patent) for this innovation, or does my company have a case for owning it (since the innovation is related to the work done by my company). I did not sign anything that says that anything I develop will become the company's property. Any advice?

Not signing anything definitely helps your case. Inventing it using your own tools and on your own time helps your case. Most importantly, are you an employee or an independent contractor? If you are the latter, you are in an even better place. Much of this is fact dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back