Prosecution for forged Solicitors Letter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_warby

Hi all

Please could somebody help with a few questions?

What i need to know is; is forging a solicitors letter punishable via the courts as a police matter, or would it be done directly via the solicitors, e.g. Sueing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

regards
Alex

Hi all

Please could somebody help with a few questions?

What i need to know is; is forging a solicitors letter punishable via the courts as a police matter, or would it be done directly via the solicitors, e.g. Sueing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

regards
Alex

It all depends on how it is charged.

An injured person can always sue the person that harmed them, civilly.

The state, of course, can charge for crimes they believe one committed.

Forgery is s erious offense.

It doesn't matter what the subject of the letter happens to be.

It is the authenticity in question and the intent that deternines whether the state will bring criminal charges.

As we don't have all the facts, maybe you don't either, no one can anticipate what might happen in the future.

If a crime has been committed and comes to the knowledge of the authorities, it is a rare day they don't prosecute!

Thanks for your reply, the forged letter in question is the result of friend being conned out of over £12,000.

He bought a business from somebody, was shown books that looked like the business was making a good profit etc, but once he had taken over the business was infact running at a loss and she books were false it seems.

My friend sought legal advice (which cost a futher £1,500) to be told that apart from a "stern" letter asking the conman to return the money, nothing could be done as franchises are currently not regulated by english law.

In sheer frustration my friend decided to send out another letter to the conman, asking for the money back or they would be taken to a civil court, however, as they could not afford more legal fees he made the letter himself, copying the letter sent from the solicitor orginally.

However, the conman contacted a solicitor himself who then contacted the real solicitor, hence my friend being caught.

He is absolutely devastated from the run of events that have led upto this, and knows he has acted wrongly, but acted in sheer desperation. The result is that I am worried he will suffer a nervous breakdown at any moment, and things have been left in the balance by the solicitors simply saying: "We shall be in touch"

Any ideas what he could be looking at for this?

thanks for your help : )

Thanks for your reply, the forged letter in question is the result of friend being conned out of over £12,000.

He bought a business from somebody, was shown books that looked like the business was making a good profit etc, but once he had taken over the business was infact running at a loss and she books were false it seems.

My friend sought legal advice (which cost a futher £1,500) to be told that apart from a "stern" letter asking the conman to return the money, nothing could be done as franchises are currently not regulated by english law.

In sheer frustration my friend decided to send out another letter to the conman, asking for the money back or they would be taken to a civil court, however, as they could not afford more legal fees he made the letter himself, copying the letter sent from the solicitor orginally.

However, the conman contacted a solicitor himself who then contacted the real solicitor, hence my friend being caught.

He is absolutely devastated from the run of events that have led upto this, and knows he has acted wrongly, but acted in sheer desperation. The result is that I am worried he will suffer a nervous breakdown at any moment, and things have been left in the balance by the solicitors simply saying: "We shall be in touch"

Any ideas what he could be looking at for this?

thanks for your help : )

I do many things well.
I have attempted to prognosticate, but have never been able to do so with any measure of accuracy or consistency.
No one can predict what a human might do.
I suggest that your friend seek the services of a counselor, psychiatrist, or psychologist.
He should also seek the servces of a criminal defense attorney, just in case!
Or, just be patiuent and awaut the outcome.
Matters are now out of his control.
I doubt that much will come of this, because if he remains SILENT, proving he did this will be very hard!
In other words, your frined should just SHUT UP about all of this.
The less he talks, the harder it will be to prove that HE did any of this!
Unless of course, he already admitted to it.
If he has, that was not wise.
But once the bell has been rung, everyone hears the peal, don't they?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back