Property Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveAZ

In preparing for retirement, my girlfriend and I are planning to payoff a substantial portion (~2/3) of the mortgage principal balance within the next 30 days and pay the remainder over the next 12 months. At present both the mortgage and the property title are in her name only. Since we are both making a significant investment, we want to make sure that if something would happen to either of us, that the property would go to the survivor. Should we have the title reissued in both our names before beginning the accelerated payoff or could we draw up a some form of legal document between us that could be notarized and would serve as a valid conveyance of ownership?

A will would accomplish what you wish to happen if your girlfriend dies before you do. And if you die before she does, she still is full owner.

In preparing for retirement, my girlfriend and I are planning to payoff a substantial portion (~2/3) of the mortgage principal balance within the next 30 days and pay the remainder over the next 12 months. At present both the mortgage and the property title are in her name only. Since we are both making a significant investment, we want to make sure that if something would happen to either of us, that the property would go to the survivor. Should we have the title reissued in both our names before beginning the accelerated payoff or could we draw up a some form of legal document between us that could be notarized and would serve as a valid conveyance of ownership?

If she dropped dead tomorrow, her next of kin own it all.
If she got mad and wanted to throw you out next week, you could be evicted.

I suggest you and she discuss this with a lawyer.
You need far more than a will.
She needs nothing. She has it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back