Property Management Company overcharging for repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrebel821

My husband and I contracted a PM to handle our home in Kansas. A tenant was secured, and a lease signed in May. In June, we had over $400 deducted from our rent payment for "roof repairs" due to a leak. We were never notified, and when we asked about it when our statement came, we were told we were billed for a repair involving shingle replacement and various repairs. We asked several times for an itemization, as we could have filed a homeowners claim. On the same statement, we were billed for a faucet replacement, a shower head replacement, and gutter cleaning totaling $700. We have just gotten contact info for our tenants, and in speaking with them ,we have found out neither the shower head or the faucet were ever replaced. We still (4 months later), can't get s straight answer on the roof repairs. I know shingles were not replaced, since the area of repair involved a metal roof. When our tenants asked if we would consider selling the home in the future, he told them "I can find you a great house, and if you want this one, I can represent you". Today, I learned the "vendor" doing repairs is actually a family member of the PM, who runs a business consulting firm. Is this kind of fraud enough to void a contract between us and the PM on the grounds of his not using due diligence to represent us???

I suggest you consult an attorney. If the PM won't cooperate, your remedy lies in a lawsuit. As far as breaking the contract, read it. Then consult an attorney. Be careful here, otherwise what you consider breaking the lease, could be construed as breaching the lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back