Property Line Location question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyk34

I am going to put up a fence along a property line that is not well marked. I know the other property corners, and by measuring with a tape, can get the one unmarked property corner pretty close (+- 6 inches). I would hire a surveyor, but can't justify spending the exhorbitant cost (Minimum 4 hrs. for two guys and truck/equipment = $800) for what I think is a 15 to 30 min. job. My question: If my neighbor wants to dispute the location of my fence, what is the worst that can happen? Can I be liable for any/all of the following? Court costs, surveyor costs, attorney costs (his or mine), or costs associated with moving the fence.

Originally posted by kennyk34:
My question: If my neighbor wants to dispute the location of my fence, what is the worst that can happen? Can I be liable for any/all of the following? Court costs, surveyor costs, attorney costs (his or mine), or costs associated with moving the fence.
Unfortunately this is a risk assessment issue and only you can make this decision. It would seem obvious that if you were wrong and put the fence on your neighbors property then you would have to pay for the costs of removing and reinstalling the fence. Award of attorneys fees and court costs is not always a given but it would seem that the costs of moving the fence alone would answer your question. I don't disagree that surveying costs might seem exorbitant!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back