Property left to my husband and me

K

kathy4941031

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Can a piece of property left to my husband and me then to our heirs be sold? The property in question was left to me and my husband then to our heirs by his mother. My husband passed away 25 years ago and we have three daughters together. I did remarry and have a fourth daughter who is 23 years old by my husband now. I am 65 years old and will not be having any more children nor will I be adopting any. I was wondering if this property could be sold? My daughters would be willing to sign their part to me if need be.

Can a piece of property left to my husband and me then to our heirs be sold? The property in question was left to me and my husband then to our heirs by his mother. My husband passed away 25 years ago and we have three daughters together. I did remarry and have a fourth daughter who is 23 years old by my husband now. I am 65 years old and will not be having any more children nor will I be adopting any. I was wondering if this property could be sold? My daughters would be willing to sign their part to me if need be.

If you hold a life estate, the property can't be sold until you die.
If you own the property in FEE SIMPLE, as result of your husband's death, YOU can sell YOUR property.

Your answer can easily be determined by looking at the DEED for the property.

I was wondering if this property could be sold?

Depends on what the deed says. If you don't have a copy of the most current deed sitting on the table in front of you I suggest you get one from your county recorder or land record office.

Then come back and tell us how the ownership reads.

Back