Property busted up, renter leaving, dealing with squatters

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestposter

I hope this is the correct place for this, if not feel free to move it.

My parents rented a property to a young woman and it sounds like things went downhill rather fast. The carpet is now stained, two or three windows are broken, the grass was out of control, the curtains are all wrinkled and knotted up, the ceiling fan was knocked out of the ceiling and is missing a paddle, and the whole place stunk like rotten garbage.

My Mom immediately tried to contact the renter but was eventually forced to look for her at her place of employment. She was told that the girl had quit her job and was moving to another state. When my Mom finally got a hold of her, she told her that if things weren't fixed, she'd have to take legal action. The girl begged her not to, promising she'd make it right.

It's been a week or two since then and the windows are still broken. The fan is still hanging out of the ceiling; a paddle is still missing. The carpet is still stained. The smell is gone but the place is a dump.

According to one of the neighbors, there are so many people coming in and out freely that it could almost be called a halfway house. The renter, herself, even said it was one of these people who broke everything, as if she thought that cleared her of all responsibility, almost like she was helpless to stop it.

So this morning we got a phone call from the same neighbor who told us that some stranger was in the house. We immediately drove to town to see what's going on but by the time we got there, whoever had hunkered down for the night was gone. They apparently come late and leave early.

We checked the house over to make sure it was okay and it's still in pretty much the same condition. However, their living room suit has been removed and there is now a mattress on the floor. What's weird about this is that a few weeks ago, our neighbor talked to some guy she saw coming out of the house and he told her he'd be renting it. We don't even know who this person is but we're wondering if he thinks he's living there...but we haven't told anyone else they could live there after she vacates the premises. Not only that but we don't actually know how much of this our renter is aware of. Whether she gave everyone permission to be there or it's just spreading from person to person is hard to say.

My parents tried to call both the renter and her boyfriend but got no answer. All we know is we have people coming in and out of our unlocked house, the girl is leaving, she seems to have almost no money, the place is busted up, someone else seems to think they are living there, and my parents aren't sure what the best course of action is.

We have no lease. We're giving her a month to leave because one more month's rent was paid, apparently by her boyfriend who doesn't live there. The thing is, we don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry coming in off the street to hunker down for the night. We can't reach her, we don't know if she's skipping town or how much of her stuff she's coming back for. The place almost looks abandoned. Save for a tv, her kid's toys/stuff, and a few other odds and ends, she's definitely been moving stuff out.

What options do we have here? Are our hands tied? Do we have to watch as God only knows who comes in and out freely? For all we know, these could be homeless people, it's insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back