Proof of Insurance - WAAAAAYYY Back

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Guys-I have an employee who has come to me and wants me to get proof he had insurance coverage in 2012. He has a hospital bill from then that has been sent to collections. Anyone else, I would pretty much tell them, sorry, it's not my problem, but this is not someone I'm in a position to do that. I've destroyed payables records from that far back. Any other ideas?

Guys-I have an employee who has come to me and wants me to get proof he had insurance coverage in 2012. He has a hospital bill from then that has been sent to collections. Anyone else, I would pretty much tell them, sorry, it's not my problem, but this is not someone I'm in a position to do that. I've destroyed payables records from that far back. Any other ideas?
The employee should contact the insurer. Having said that, in many states, the statute of limitations on this type of matter has already passed.

My HRIS system would tell me if he had coverage back to 2002, which is when we implemented it. I wouldn't necessarily have payables, but I'd at least have yes, he was enrolled in x plan as of x date and the listed dependents were also covered.

Having said that, in many states, the statute of limitations on this type of matter has already passed.

Not Ohio. It's 8 years for written agreements and 6 years for unwritten. Since the patient likely signed a payment guarantee at the hospital, he'd be vulnerable to a lawsuit until some time in 2020.

Not Ohio. It's 8 years for written agreements and 6 years for unwritten. Since the patient likely signed a payment guarantee at the hospital, he'd be vulnerable to a lawsuit until some time in 2020.
I have no idea why I missed the state on this one...thanks.

Your post doesn't raise any legal issue, so I'm not sure why you're posting this on a legal message board, but the obvious answer would be to contact the insurer who provided your employee medical coverage for the year in question.

Because they started the Human Resources message board on this site some years back when another board some of us HR folks used was closed. So some people do come on here for input from other HR professionals doesn't necessarily fall under the heading of "legal".

Back