Proof of beneficiary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sferg2005

My mother passed away in 1998. She had no will and owned no property. My sister and I were the beneficiaries on her life insurance and we split everything evenly. 2 months ago I received a letter saying her 401k had been rolled over and to contact the bank. We had no idea she had this. I am being told I need to show proof that I am the beneficiary but she passed away nearly 10 years ago and we did not keep any insurance papers because we did not think we would need them after a couple years. I sent the bank a certified copy of her death certificate and all the information she asked for. Indiana does not offer "short certificates" so I am unaware of any other forms of certificates to prove that I am legally her heir. Where do I go from here? I appreciate any ideas you can offer.

Did you include your birth certificates?

I did not include birth certificates. I have mine and can send it to them. What happens to funds like this if they will not accept that as proof? I have never had to deal with this type of situation so I am lost.

I don't know what happens to the funds but proof that the woman is your mother and that you are the "heir" would seem to me to be proven with birth certificates.

I don't know what Indiana will approve, but based on an experience my brother had with a visa, I would suggest not only birth certificates but also, if you can access it, your parents' marriage certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back