proof in the text messages

dak naeem

Jurisdiction
Illinois
i am illinois property owner living next to public housing apartments since 2008. complained to apartment management and police many, many times about trespassers. police suggested cameras and no trespass signs. i have 8 of each. apartment renters have been warned to stay off my property many times by management and police. over the years the problem has escalated to me being followed around town, having trash thrown in my yard and at me while i do yard work. the latest trend by the renters is texting their friends to repeatedly pull into my driveway. the renters actually stand before my cameras and text. within a matter of minutes, there are one or more vehicles pulling into my drive. my questions: do i need private investigator to get renter's text messages? can the text be subpoenaed?

i am illinois property owner living next to public housing apartments since 2008. complained to apartment management and police many, many times about trespassers. police suggested cameras and no trespass signs. i have 8 of each. apartment renters have been warned to stay off my property many times by management and police. over the years the problem has escalated to me being followed around town, having trash thrown in my yard and at me while i do yard work. the latest trend by the renters is texting their friends to repeatedly pull into my driveway. the renters actually stand before my cameras and text. within a matter of minutes, there are one or more vehicles pulling into my drive. my questions: do i need private investigator to get renter's text messages? can the text be subpoenaed?

The text messages will be of little, if any, probative value.

Plus, you have no legitimate reason to subpoena the telephone records.

Trying to obtain those text messages will be very expensive and disappointing for you.

Not much is going to be done about trespassing.

Get a thicker skin, try to ignore them, build higher fences, because those troublemakers KILL people for less.

More than likely you're dealing with a few thugs, drug dealers, gang members, and criminals. They have nothing to lose, and you have nothing to gain.

Some of the thugs probably cant read, and most don't respect private property rights.
Why?
They've never owned any real estate.
They have few manners, and most are seeking trouble.

You could potentially pursue civil penalties, but what can a tenant in a "project funded apartment" ever pay?

The criminal law can't do much, either.
That's why most larger merchants simply "trespass" the garden variety thief.

The best thing for you to do, is the thing you can't do, sell and move!

No one is ever going to offer you enough for your home, except its value will diminish more every year.

You're also dealing with some ornery, dimwitted, violence prone, criminal types.

Be very careful, my friend, you don't want to get hurt, crippled, or killed over property rights.

Plus, don't let the criminals bait you into harming them, either.

Truth is, friend, the government doesn't care, either!!!

Unfortunately in this type of situation, as you have already experienced the more you fight them the more they will fight back. They enjoy bothering you, so they will continue to do so as long as they know it bothers you. If you escalate, so will they.
You have to ask yourself if fighting the trespassing, is worth the risk of escalating them to something worse than trespassing.

Pick a couple of the biggest, strongest, nastiest looking characters and hire them as security. Suggested terms: Payment once a week at the end of the week provided nobody bothers you and nothing happens.

It's best if you ignore them if at all possible. They may get tired of the "harassment" then & stop. There is the option of moving which you probably do not want to do. Good luck.

Back