Professional Development Plan

Laura03

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I work for a mega church that started a company-wide Professional Development Plan last July. The purpose of this is to give employees quarterly goals, objectives and feedback allowing them growth in their career. It was stated that every employee was to have their PDP by 6.22.17. I was overlooked in the entire process. When I asked, my supervisor at the time told me that "not everyone received one". (I have no way to validate this). I have since transferred to another position. My new supervisor is new to the church and by his own admission, "doesn't understand the PDP process." My former supervisor has since said that he wants to work with my replacement to help her develop her professionally via her PDP. I'm not even sure where to start but feel devalued and unappreciated. Is it fair to have been left out of a company-wide professional development process? Is it fair that my replacement is being set up to succeed and I'm not? Communication and trust are very low within our organization — the last two employee engagement surveys (completed annually) resulted in scores reflective of a "toxic work environment". Should I cut my losses and try to find a new job with an employer who values their employees? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you're being devalued, unappreciated, disregarded, and ignored as an employee; why wouldn't you be seeking an employer who treats you as the valued treasure you are, a child of God????

no requirement that every employee be on the same plan or even have one at all. It is very possible there are some positions that really have no place to grow but to have good employee performance. And there's no requirement that they give you a PDP even if they give one to your replacement (could be they need more training and you already had it for example)

You are the only one that can set yourself up to succeed. What goals have you made? What help/training have you asked for? If it stated "every employee" why didn't you push the issue with someone other than your direct supervisor? Does this "mega church" have a business manager or HR position?

Nothing in this world requires "fair".... consistent, maybe? Nondiscriminatory for protected characteristics? Sure. But nothing in your post brings any of that to the forefront.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder, but it doesn't really matter whether we think it is fair or not. The law does not care about fair. If you are asking whether any employment laws have been violated they have not. If you are asking if you have any legal recourse, on the basis of what you have posted you do not.

I agree... it seems you might be happier elsewhere. Don't burn any bridges, but maybe start looking for something else where you will be happier.

The employer doesn't appear to be doing anything which you can take action for.

Your post doesn't appear to raise any legal issues. If you're not happy with your current job, you are free to seek another.

Back