Procedure Questions I got???

M

melodical444

Jurisdiction
US Federal Law
So I'm in Seventh Grade and I have curiosity with every ubiquitous thing around me.
Law is cynosure.

Can district courts interpret the constitution???
Is there a limit to the number of times a case may be appealed to the SCOTUS???

Thank you very much.
I have been wondering those two questions since a week ago.

Additional:
My favorite SCOTUS member has always been Earl Warren for his contribution on Brown vs Board of Education (1954), Miranda vs Arizona (1966), and Gideon vs Wainwright (1963)

So I'm in Seventh Grade and I have curiosity with every ubiquitous thing around me.
Law is cynosure.

Wow. Seventh Grade and you can use ubiquitous and cynosure in a sentence. I'm impressed. Heck, I had to look up cynosure.

Can district courts interpret the constitution???

Yes.

Cases that end up at the US Supreme Court start at the local level.

You might be familiar with the landmark 2d amendment case: DC v Heller. That was initially filed with the District Court of DC where the plaintiffs challenged the constitutionality of DC's Firearms Control Regulations Act.

The District Court dismissed the case which is the equivalent of ruling that the DC law was constitutional because the court declined to say that it wasn't.

You can read more about it at:

District of Columbia v. Heller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there a limit to the number of times a case may be appealed to the SCOTUS???

Yes. Once. That's why it's called the SUPREME Court of the US. The decision is final and there is nowhere to appeal above that.

I have been wondering those two questions since a week ago.

What happened a week ago to get you wondering?

My favorite SCOTUS member has always been Earl Warren for his contribution on Brown vs Board of Education (1954), Miranda vs Arizona (1966), and Gideon vs Wainwright (1963)

My favorites are the justices who ruled that the 2d Amendment applies to individuals in DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago.

I see, thank you very much for answering my two questions and taking your time.
Also, don't get surprised, my grammar is bad.
Thanks for providing a link to District of Columbia vs. Heller (2008)
I think those justices that ruled for the 2nd amendment were: Scalia, CJ Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, and Samuel.

-My curiousity-
So since 2 weeks ago, I'm in Brussels with my grandparents. Both them love the 'assiduous' way of how John Grisham writes legal thrillers, so I asked for some law guide and that got me booked up. Very cogent. I am kind of demure and have a lot of time since I do not go to summer school, so I read the guide and saw many mysterious words like voir dire, plea nolo contendere, subpoena, etc. and some US Federal and Supreme Court basics.

Last edited:
McDonald v Chicago is the followup to Heller where the Supreme Court ruled that the 2d Amendment applies to individual states:

McDonald v. City of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since you like John Grisham you might also check out books by Scott Turow. And, for pure amusement, watch episodes of Perry Mason on Youtube.

You can find explanations of legal terms by googling them. Many will come up on Wikipedia which you can use as a starting point for further research.

You can enter the minds of appellate court judges and examine the reasoning behind their decisions by looking up cases on Google Scholar and reading the complete decisions.

You can find the Heller and McDonald decisions there.

I have always had a fascination with the law and have learned quite a bit about it in my lifetime.

Back