Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders procedure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCS1

My 18 year old son is being charged with sexual misconduct with a minor (another high school student but younger). He had an initial appearance and is being held in the jail because the parents of the girl told the investigators that he might try to run to New Jersey. Anyways, when I look at the case on line I can see where he had his initial appearance and then there are three listings for 1) indictment, 2)non supervening indictment and then 3)supervening indictment (all listed on the same day, filed by the plaintiff). Then there is a listing for Notice: Vacated. What does this mean? My son was scheduled to have a status conference that never occurred. I am wondering if the vacated means the status conference was canceled or if it has to do with the indictment. My son thinks that because everything is he said/she said that it means the indictment has been vacated. However, I read that hearsay is allowed for an indictment. He still has a preliminary hearing on his court schedule. Does anybody know what this vacated means? Also, if he was indicted, how long after a person is indicted does it take for them to notify the defendant? It has been one week from what is listed on the web site.

Any information you can help me with would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to expect and my son has not been appointed a lawyer yet. Here in AZ we have mandatory sentencing of 10 years, plus lifetime probation, plus lifetime sex offender registration for this offense. I am very nervous and don't understand what is going on.

IT depends upon age difference. In most states, if one is 16, and has parental consent, and the other is less than four years older, it might be a misdomeanor. If the other is 4 years or older, it is usually "statutory Rape", and yes, it is a registration for life, unless after ten years you file to be removed.

This differs from state to state. Tell you son to keep his fingers in his own pants.

I understand that what my son is accused of is a crime. Where I live it is a crime to be with somebody more than 24 months younger than you, even if they lie about their age and are with you consensually, it is still considered a felony crime here. I would like to know what was vacated and it's significance.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back