Problems with a Chiropractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmi69

I went to a chiropractor from February of 1999 until September of that same year. In May of 1999, the company my doctor was working for was bought and he was planning on starting up his own practice with a friend. I followed him, not knowing that my insurance company stopped paying for my treatments in the beginning of that month. After a lot of trying, I squared my bill with the doctor and fought the insurance company successfully. However, the doctor was charging me too much for each visit and then not giving me the difference in the for of either a refund or a credit. Also, when I got the insurance company to pay-out, they paid him enough that I should have at least $250 dollars refunded to me, however he claims it was only $43.86. I am fuming because when I requested copies of my file, he gave me the same printout which only lists the treatment amount and the credits from my payments. I want to force him to prove to me that his paperwork was in the up and up. What should be my next step after requesting every Statement of Benefit from the insurance company?

You may want to write him a letter, certified return receipt, demanding that he provide you with a detailed accounting of the bill, including identifying the deficient areas in the one he sent you. If he does not comply, then you will have no choice but to take action, which may also include involving relevant parties, such as your insurance company, to fully resolve the matter to your reasonable satisfaction. Let him know that you should be taken seriously.

I agree with the law professor 100%, but would also obtain a history from your insurance company based on average bills, etc.

On the flip side of digging, many people have a very hard time 'digging' into the practices of chairopractics. Because of a rather recent surge in 'alternative medicines' and the limited knowledge and standards developed for each, the AMA still is reluctant to recognize many such practices. As this is the basis for medical credibility here in the U.S., you may have a hard time finding specific rules & regulations pertaining to chairopractics as in the same regard accupuncture and homeopathic practices. In the way that you can charge for a drug and the staff and technology required to administer that drug in a safe manner, you would have a very hard time charging per adjustment or technique applied.

Best of luck,
jM

Sorry, forgot to add these links for a good source of information.

Sherman College of Straight Chiropractics
http://www.sherman.edu/
Based right here in sunny SC. I believe Sherman is recognized as one of the tops.

Life University, College of Chiropractics
http://www.life.edu/
Another one I believe is very well recognized in Atlanta, Ga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back