Private Party Sale to Private Party

ajm812

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
So, almost 2 weeks ago, i sold a Mustang to a person from roughly 2 hours away. i met them after work and sold it on a friday evening, notarized my part of the title, signed an so on. So i had been dealing with this Gentleman for roughly a month almost a month and a half on him buying this car. I did not hold it for him but he was offering what i was asking for the car. the car did have some issues and I made those noted in my ad. and when he got there we talked about said issues in-front of his parent who fronted him the money for the car. He handed me the cash, and i handed him the title.
they recently took the car to a certified mechanic to have it inspected and it turns out that the car had a larger issue than what was originally thought. The Mans parent proceeds to call me demanding a refund because she gave him the money for the car. I told her i had no idea that was the issue, and speaking to some of my friends, they informed me that a specific test would have to be completed on said car to determine that the real issue was what it was.so i informed her, through text, that "i was just told that this specific test would have to be performed to determine the fault." and she took that as i knew that was what needed to be done and that i kept it from them. Im assuming she had spoke to her lawyer about the ordeal( im sure she was trying to sue at first) and he motioned her to work out a agreement. And Im a reasonable guy. I know that I never had to agree to anything because i disclosed what i knew about the car and made it clear. but i did, i agreed to pay 1/2 of the repair cost up to X amount. and i sent that to her in a text and completely clarified my Max payment to help fix the car.
the parent then informed me that they were going to leave the agreement to their son to handle. fast forward almost a week, roughly 5 days, I get a phone call from the Son that the repair cost was looking to be a lot less than the amount i agreed on from the beginning, so natually we were both happy that it was going to be a lot less than estimated.
havent heard from either of them until today.
today the parent called me and informed me that the issue turned out to be the bigger issue, and i had two options, i could refund them and take the car back, or the parent was taking legal action. I did not hear from the son at all.
does she have any legs to stand on here?

extra info,
car was listed for almost 3 months with the issue i knew of.
i basically held the car for almost a month and a half for them, while getting other offers.
Ive bought, traded, and sold over 20 cars in the past 5 years. not once have i ever had a issue like this.
any help is greatly appreciated, Im young and this has never happened to me, so im somewhat nervous.
*I apologize for any grammatical errors.

any help is greatly appreciated,

Private party automobile sales are always sold "AS IS", unless the seller EXPRESSLY and in WRITING warrants or guarantees something.

If you offered to sell your 1935 Dodge to Smokey Sammy for $500, and Smokey Sammy agreed to buy it by handing you over FIVE $100 bills, as Peggy Lee once sang, "Is That All There Is?"

Yes, that is all there is to it.

Rather, that would have been ALL there was to it, until you put Bigfoot's hairy paw in your mouth!

You don't need to answer Smokey Sammy's calls, reply to his texts, answer his emails, or speak to him if he comes calling in person.

In fact, you need do nothing more about this, and would be very foolish if you do.

If Smokey Sammy sues you in court, you answer the lawsuit, appear in court, and defend yourself.

Smokey Sammy got GOT, and that is his fault, NOT yours!

===============================================

You made many mistakes by agreeing to do something that you didn't legally have to do.

That could come back to bite you, mate.

Too bad you didn't ask us here, before you did that there!

After receiving the phone call today, I've made my peace with it, and I'm not responding to either of them. Thank you Army Judge.

After receiving the phone call today, I've made my peace with it, and I'm not responding to either of them. Thank you Army Judge.

You might have some trouble with the texts you sent agreeing to do whatever it is you agreed to do.

If you do get sued, make sure you defend yourself in court.

Otherwise, just keep hoping these people leave you be.

Personally I think that they will try and sue. But would it look better on my part since I tried to come to a agreement and they agreed to it?

Personally I think that they will try and sue. But would it look better on my part since I tried to come to a agreement and they agreed to it?

They'd have to prove you agreed to anything.

You have to decide what you want to do.

How much money is involved here?

Have you signed over the title?

Wait KY doesn't use titles, do they?

I think you folks use a bill of sale, is that right?

If you want to make them work for it, do nothing.

They'd have to sue you in your county, not theirs, which means they have to travel a couple more times, more if you drag it out.

Kentucky does use titles, title was signed over to them and the son transferred it on Friday. I called my county clerk to confirm.
Edit* my part was signed, and he was signing his at his clerk office. He lives almost 1.5 hours from his parent. So I'm assuming it went in his name only. He's in his late 20's so.

But would it look better on my part since I tried to come to a agreement and they agreed to it?

No, it wouldn't. Your response to the first phone call should have been "You bought it AS IS, you own it, don't ever bother me again." "Click."

THAT's how you sell a car for CASH.[

Back