Privacy Laws For Pa

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisceancutie46

IS THERE A STATUE OF LIMITATIONS ON THIS SORT OF THING AND DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL RECOURSE?

I went to Baltimore Pike Check Cashing to pay my water bill. I was at the counter waiting for my receipts when a woman walked in, picked up a paper and asked me if it were mine. I answered "yes" which was morally wrong--it wasn't my item BUT i DIDN'T STEAL ANYTING.

A few mins. after I was back at work, my daughter called me to say a strange woman came to our door. She told my daughter that I had her lost item. She gave my daughter her phone number and stated if she didn't hear from me she would be back with the police.I immediately left work, and went back to return to the item. Police had just arrived. I walked in, returned the item. No questions asked.

I called BCC y day to speak to the owner. I was told he was not available. I called again. The woman who answered said she was the manager and she knew what I was calling about. I asked her to name the clerks working on 9/29 at approx. 1:30 p.m. because one of those clerks gave a STRANGER my home address WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!! The manager replied "the woman must have followed you". This is untrue, I never went home! I spoke to the owner who also denied that any of his clerks gave out my home address to this woman and that the police must have given it to her.

I spoke to the police officer who had been called AFTER the woman left my home. He stated that he DID NOT GIVE THE WOMAN MY ADDRESS. He said the woman showed a paper the clerk had written my address on. He said he told them that providing that information was ill advised.

This stranger could have come to my home with A GUN! I am distressed that these clerks had total disregard for my privacy and my safety. They could have easily obtained my phone number by calling 411 OR they could have contacted the police BEFORE handing over my home address to a COMPLETE STRANGER!!! This woman may still have my address! I am really concerned about the safety of my family.

Your address is public record. If she knew your name she could get your address in any number of ways. So while I agree that it was ill-advised for a clerk to give your address out, if indeed that is what actually happened, it did not violate any privacy laws.

The woman could not have known my name. It was on the bill that I had just paid. She showed up about 15 minutes after I left the place. She is a total stranger. The clerks are behind thick glass and there is no other way she could have gotten my home address that quickly The police said that he was told by this woman that the clerk gave her my info. He told her it had been a bad idea to come tracking me down by herself.

If the police officer would testify of what he remembered, would I have a case? Would it be worth it to even hire a lawyer for this?

The owner of the check cashing place was very rude and of couse denied that his clerks did anything wrong. He can probably afford a much better lawyer than I ever could. Or, would this be a civil case that I'd handle on my own?

At the present time, you have no case at all because you have suffered no damages. You can't sue because of what might happen. As I said, your address is a matter of public record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back