Privacy in Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLoy

Our son did not like being told what to do so I told him he had to check in with me or the judge. He wanted the judge so we tried to arrange a talk with the judge. He didn't reply back so the local police said he needed a citation to talk to the judge. At my 16 year old son and 17 year old daughters request the police came over and tried to talk them out of it. They wanted it any way so he wrote out disorderly conduct citations because he had been called several times when they were being insubordinate or would take off without permission.
At the hearing the son entered a not guilty plea and the Judge proceeded to require me to get him a lawyer. I asked why it would be proper for me to go spend my last penny on a lawyer to come and try to convict me of something I am totally innocent of.
He then seemed confused and reset the hearing for 2 weeks and talked about getting him an "Ad Litem" lawyer or something. At the hearing an older sibling showed up and took my son aside and told him to enter the not guilty plea and make me pay for a lawyer. My question is: Do I have to allow the older sibling at the trial or can I request a controlled hearing and how do I go about requesting the hearing be held non-public.
Does any parent have to spend money getting a child a lawyer just because they get upset about the law? It seems ridiculous.

Hire a lawyer and defend the judge's ruling.

You could declare the juveniles to be incorrigible and unruly. Well, you could ask the judge to declare as such.

Yes, most court proceedings are open to the public.

Some juvenile court proceedings can be closed.

Stopping the other sibling from coming to court won't keep him/her from giving the wayward "utes" advice.

Why not ask the sibling adviser if he/she wants custody of the juvenile delinquent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back