Consumer Law, Warranties Previous owner promised corrected car title but will not respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

GottlobFrege

I bought a car from out of state from an auction on e-Bay. I paid a deposit by certified check then traveled to the other state to meet the owner, pay the balance by certified check, and take the car. He provided the title but signed it in the wrong place. When I got home, I realized this, called him and told him this. He promised me that if I send the title back to him that he would get a duplicate title, correctly fill it out, and return it to me by overnight mail. I made a copy of everything, but during the last six weeks I have not been able to get him to respond to email, phone calls, or registered mail. He is a successful executive and works for a prestigious Boston development firm.

Now what? Thank-you for your wisdom and expertise!

I bought a car from out of state from an auction on e-Bay. I paid a deposit by certified check then traveled to the other state to meet the owner, pay the balance by certified check, and take the car. He provided the title but signed it in the wrong place. When I got home, I realized this, called him and told him this. He promised me that if I send the title back to him that he would get a duplicate title, correctly fill it out, and return it to me by overnight mail. I made a copy of everything, but during the last six weeks I have not been able to get him to respond to email, phone calls, or registered mail. He is a successful executive and works for a prestigious Boston development firm.

Now what? Thank-you for your wisdom and expertise!
Wisdom and experience says that you send him a certified return receipt letter stating everything you mentioned here. Include a copy of the certified check and a copy of the ebay post. Mention that all he had to do was send back the corrected registration form and mail it back to you but he hasn't done it. In the event that he will not complete this transaction, he should send you the money back for the car since you will be unable to take possession. Additionally, if he continues not to send it back to you then you will be forced to sue him in court for damages pertaining to your inability to use a car that you paid for. Certified letters usually bring immediate results as does the mention of the need for the court system to intervene when the obvious "right thing" could not be done. Good luck and hope that we'll hear that you get what you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back