Prepayment of child support in lump sum

Status
Not open for further replies.

shengnes

I know this is a little strange, but my ex wants to prepay the child support for the next 2 1/2 years for our daughter. My ex hasn't worked in almost a year and has arrears in the amount of over $4400. His girlfriend just won a malpractice lawsuit and he wants to pay me out right for the arrears and the future support for the next 2 1/2 years in a lump sum payment. If he doesn't pay the arrears by Oct. 6th a warrant goes out for his arrest so he wants to clear this up in the next couple of weeks. We were never married but there is a court order that includes our other daughter who is now over 18 and he is no longer obligated to pay on, although WI will not change the current amount unless he gets another job and submits a motion to modify. The support is a set amount that never is increased due to cost of living.

He wants me to accept the bulk payment now so he never has to deal with child support again. He wants me to forgive the arrears, and put a stop to the order after he gives me the money.

My question is 1) is this legal? I know that I can forgive the arrears as long as it is done before the Oct. 6th date and I can stop the order. But I don't know if I can accept a bulk payment.

I almost feel that I need to take the bulk amount to make sure my daughter is protected for the next 2 1/2 years. He has no thoughts of getting a job at the moment and says he would rather go to jail than get a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back