Preparing for the LSAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmacgregor

I just wanted to share with all those out there preparing for the LSAT a couple books I've found. In doing this, I would like anyone that has found similar devices to share as well.

I have done some pretty in-depth research on "bang-for-your-buck" LSAT study guides. Of course the Kaplan series is by far the best marketed and initially most appealing to the fresh eye on the subject. However, as many consumer goods, good marketing doesn't always deliver a good product. I found the book particularly boring and the CD-ROM difficult to use (comparatively speaking) and rather childish to boot. The classes offered by Kaplan are supposed to be one of the best tools leading to the last day before the test itself. I have to wonder how effective the classes are if they are using this grade of material. So what do you really get for $500? Hard to say...maybe 1,000 packs of Ramen noodles...

My most valuable book purchased was a mere $29.95 from Nova. Master The LSAT is very easy to use and straight to the point and includes an official LSAT test (as do many). The CD-ROM is easy to use and excludes the tacky cartoons and cosmetics that Kaplan undoubtedly spent a small fortune having designed.

The other book I purchased is called The Complete Law School Companion ~ How to excel at America's most demanding post-graduate curriculum. Jeff Deaver does a fine job discussing everything from the LSAT to good study habits to form while in law school.

Again, if anyone has anything similar to share, I have no doubt there are interested people out there that are still wondering what book to buy or how to most effectively spend their money.

Best thing to do is get a book on good practice tests and just do them. You may want to take a course because the test is critical and there is no curve for those who do and those who don't take a course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back