Prelim Protection at a HIGH Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

listenup77

I also need help with another dilemma. The provisional application option was suppost to help independent inventors not have to spend too much money before actually testing the product/market. But, every lawyer I've called ask for thousands (just to start) for a provisional patent application b/c they write the provisional as if writting the non-provisionalnal, including the claims -- that's the ONLY real way you can make sure that your invention is fully disclosed and that your eventual claims will be fully supported by the specification. So they charge a large amount for the provisional and then much less to complete the non-provisional application, b/c it's basically already done. I know this is to their advantage b/c if the person decides not to continue, they have received the larger portion of the money from you. I don't have 2-3,000 dollars to put down now for a provisional, but in a few months I would have saved it up. Meanwhile, what can someone like me do to get some decent protection. I've done the search with the lawyers (that was more affortable), I've sent out a description with drawings of my invention, but like someone told me, "that casual application could come back to haunt you." And I don't want that. I have a simple and marketable product and just want some real protection to give me time to save up the money to get a patent and to develope it. What to do? What advice can you give me? I've been thinking and pondering over this dilemma for days. Every comment is appreciated.

listenup77 said:
I also need help with another dilemma. The provisional application option was suppost to help independent inventors not have to spend too much money before actually testing the product/market. But, every lawyer I've called ask for thousands (just to start) for a provisional patent application b/c they write the provisional as if writting the non-provisionalnal, including the claims -- that's the ONLY real way you can make sure that your invention is fully disclosed and that your eventual claims will be fully supported by the specification. So they charge a large amount for the provisional and then much less to complete the non-provisional application, b/c it's basically already done. I know this is to their advantage b/c if the person decides not to continue, they have received the larger portion of the money from you. I don't have 2-3,000 dollars to put down now for a provisional, but in a few months I would have saved it up. Meanwhile, what can someone like me do to get some decent protection. I've done the search with the lawyers (that was more affortable), I've sent out a description with drawings of my invention, but like someone told me, "that casual application could come back to haunt you." And I don't want that. I have a simple and marketable product and just want some real protection to give me time to save up the money to get a patent and to develope it. What to do? What advice can you give me? I've been thinking and pondering over this dilemma for days. Every comment is appreciated.

Personally I think that the Patent and Trademark Office is a bit of a nightmare regarding patents. You can see what is happening these days, the best example was the "one click" patent granted to Jeff Bezos' amazon.com that really made waves regarding the issues.

A casual application can come back to haunt you but at the same time it's better than none at all. As I think you understand, if it's not written properly than second comers can approach your invention but not be considered infringers. Good patent attorneys will charge a large amount and others may agree to do the work on a contingency basis. You may want to ask them about an arrangement like this. That is an alternative - have you asked about such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back