Pregnant and Disowned

"Parents rarely boot miscreant teens." I don't know where you have your source for that.

My years as a Texas District Court Judge and the family law cases I couldn't pawn off on my judicial colleagues.

I never served on County Court, which also serves as Juvenile Court in many Texas counties.

Oh the stories I could tell.

The Uniform Marriage and Divorce Act, which was drafted in 1970 and adopted by most states in some form, established the following provisions (which are mostly followed today):

Set presumptive age of marital consent at 18;
Allow 16- and 17-year-old to get married with parental consent; and
Allow those younger than 16 to get married with parental consent and a court order

Today, the presumptive age of marital consent is 18 in nearly all states.

South Carolina = The age of consent is sixteen. With parental consent, males and females may marry at a younger age and younger parties may receive a license by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child. Common law marriage is recognized.

The exceptions are Mississippi (21) and Nebraska (19).

See Marriage Requirement Basics:
Marriage Requirements Basics: Consent, Age, and Capacity - FindLaw Consent, Age, and Capacity to learn more.

SC Marital Laws

Code of Laws - Title 20 - Chapter 1 - Marriage

None of which changes the fact that at 16, to be either married or emancipated, you need parental permission, judicial permission, or both.

Actually the age of consent in South Carolina is 16 - so nothing illegal happened here. No statutory rape.

This is a common misconception.
While rape or sexual misconduct laws may not apply, other lesser offenses still do. We also can't assume these two had no sexual contact before she was 16.

He says legally, morally and financially it would be best for him and I to marry. I can get emancipated without parental consent, as long as I can prove he can financially support me and his family officially gives the "hey we're letting her live here."

You should talk to a couple other attorneys and compare responses. If you are nearly 17 now you would be nearly 18 before you were emancipated even if it was a possibility. Your only realistic option if you choose to marry is to get parental consent.
If your boyfriend were speaking to attorneys he would get two options: find a way to marry immediately, or get away as fast as you can.

Him and I have known each other for over 6 years, and dated for 2 1/2 years. marriage was already on the table before knowing I was pregnant, however plan was wait for me to get my associates and Diploma (I'm in an early college program). Since the pregnancy, we just decided to speed it up. We love each other very much.

You will be lucky if law enforcement never learns you are pregnant. Teachers, counselors, doctors and many others are mandated by law to report certain things to police or child services.
You say you have already spoken to some of these people about your problem so I would expect you will have contact with police or social services before too long.
Social services will be more interested in your family situation and making sure you receive adequate care during your pregnancy.
Police will look for any issues of abandonment or neglect regarding your parents and will certainly investigate the circumstances of your pregnancy.
I have done enough of these investigations that I can reasonably expect certain things to have occurred during the time you have dated this man. Based on the information you provide here I suspect there would be sufficient information available to support several misdemeanors and possibly a felony.
If I began an investigation with the information you have already provided I would expect to make an arrest.

For the disbelievers, it's known as jailbait for a very good reason.

If you do things to it, it'll land you in jail or prison, and you'll bear the burden of registering and reporting as a sex offender regularly, along with reporting requirements.

You're also not allowed to live near places where children congregate.

You'll also find yourself omitted from many job opportunities.

Don't get involved with children THAT WAY, or even close to THAT WAY.

Breaking their laws is never worth the price you pay for years, maybe until the day you assume room temperature.

This is a common misconception.
While rape or sexual misconduct laws may not apply, other lesser offenses still do. We also can't assume these two had no sexual contact before she was 16.

There's no proof of anything before she was 16 though. I said there's nothing illegal as in no statutory rape. Sorry I should have written that better. The only proof they have is her pregnancy right now. She's 16. She can consent to sex. I really don't see the police going into this especially IF it's true her family has no interest in her and the boyfriend's family is taking care of her.

My years as a Texas District Court Judge and the family law cases I couldn't pawn off on my judicial colleagues.

I never served on County Court, which also serves as Juvenile Court in many Texas counties.

Oh the stories I could tell.

Okay in Texas. That's not everywhere.

There's no proof of anything before she was 16 though. I said there's nothing illegal as in no statutory rape. Sorry I should have written that better. The only proof they have is her pregnancy right now. She's 16. She can consent to sex. I really don't see the police going into this especially IF it's true her family has no interest in her and the boyfriend's family is taking care of her.

Only a lazy police officer would not look deeper into this. Obtaining the information necessary to support a conviction, if that information exists, would not be very difficult.
Kids are dumb and they love to talk.

Only a lazy police officer would not look deeper into this. Obtaining the information necessary to support a conviction, if that information exists, would not be very difficult.
Kids are dumb and they love to talk.
So I can assure we didn't have any sexual contact before I was 16. Unless kisses count.

So I can assure we didn't have any sexual contact before I was 16. Unless kisses count.

That still does not mean he didn't commit an illegal act. At the very minimum there is the catch all of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, which you are- a delinquent minor.

my family disowned me.

Not sure what you mean by this (beyond your statement that your "family wants nothing to do with" you). The term "disown" is typically used in reference to a situation in which a parent, in his/her will, does not provide for a child to receive anything.

Would it be possible for me to get emancipated without my parents consent?

Unlikely. South Carolina does not appear to have an emancipation law, but it might be possible. In most states, emancipation requires parental consent and a demonstrable ability to provide for oneself without assistance from anyone else. You don't appear to have either of those things.

If not what are my options?

Options for what? Getting married? If your parents won't consent to you getting married, you'll have to wait until you're 18.

wouldn't him and I be protected under the Romeo and Juliet Laws? If not can you explain why?

As it happens, South Carolina has extremely permissive statutory rape laws, so this isn't actually an issue. Whether he faces any consequences under military law is something about which I have no information.

We also can't assume these two had no sexual contact before she was 16.

Sure we can. More importantly, the chances that anyone could prove they did are infinitessimal.

The chances that this ever comes across the desk of anyone in law enforcement are also awfully slim.

Back