Practicing real estate without a license - TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyMet

In Texas, can a tenant sue their landlord and/or property mgm't company in small claims court for practicing real estate without a license?

I know there are criminal penalties for this in TX -- but what are the civil remedies available to tenants?

Your first question should be whether Texas even requires landlords to be licensed real estate agents.

Your second question should be what are you going to sue for? Since civil lawsuits involve financial issues, what financial damages have you incurred from this?

Gail

Texas does not require landlords or property management companies to possess real estate licenses.

Some do, but no statute requires them to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas does require anyone conducting real estate transactions in this state to be licensed. (See TX Occupations Code, Chapter 1101)

This includes property managers, brokers, leasing agents, etc...so long as they are independent contractors and NOT employees of the property owner (meaning they get a W-2 each year) and they do not live on-site.

In other words, they must handle more than one property (such as residential locators who show several apartments a day, all belonging to different owners) and do business with the general public.

Practicing real estate without a license is a criminal offense in TX - Class A Misdemeandor (see Chapters 1101.756, 1101.757 and 1101.758, TX Occupations Code).

According to the TX Occupations Code, they may also be sued civilly:

§ 1101.754. PRIVATE CAUSE OF ACTION FOR CERTAIN
VIOLATIONS BY BROKER, SALESPERSON, OR CERTIFICATE HOLDER. (a) A
person who receives a commission or other consideration as a result
of acting as a broker or salesperson without holding a license or
certificate of registration under this chapter is liable to an
aggrieved person for a penalty of not less than the amount of money
received or more than three times the amount of money received.
(b) The aggrieved person may file suit to recover a penalty
under this section.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1421, § 2, eff. June 1, 2003.

So - now my only question is, since this amount involves damages less than $10,000, is small claims court the best way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back