Power of Atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikko

My elderly father has a healthcare POA. It indicates my name, my youngest brother, and my oldest brother as Agents to make "joint" decisions. I have never seen this before, and my own legal healthcare POA has Agent, and Successor 1 and 2. My brothers do not emotionally connect with my Dad and are not communicating with me in any way. Yet, I have written to them concerning my Dad's health declining. How will this work? If one disagrees, is the POA void or my Dad thinks it just starts with me, and it goes on to the next one. I don't see it this way. I would hope I'm wrong. If he gets into a emergency situation where he can't answer for himself --- what happens if even I resign? Just need someone to clear this up. I am concerned he is not being protected and I have been caring for him and want his interest to be protected. In the will, he has named me Personal Rep, and my oldest brother - alternate (I know heirs come into the situation). This is not about money for me ---- I'm financially secure, just want what is best for my Dad. Any advice would be helpful. Should I do anything to protect me and my spouse if this happens and it is still with us three making joint decisions when we are not communicating or they will not respond to me in any way. Thanks for your help.
Happy New Year!

Without reading the POA, I couldn't give you an informed decision.

I do know, however, that "joint" POAs generally never work.

If your dad is still competent, try to get him to change it.

Poa

Without reading the POA, I couldn't give you an informed decision.

I do know, however, that "joint" POAs generally never work.

If your dad is still competent, try to get him to change it.

Another point: This POA with multiple agents in the first paragraph states excercising
joint decisions. In the final paragraph, last page it indicates if any agent is unwilling, unable, etc. then, the next available is agent. This is very confusing. My Dad has said he doesn't want to change it. He seems confused, and on so many meds. Yet, he has appointed me as Personal Rep. in his will and testament. He also has not notified my oldes brother (who has not felt family to us for years) with a copy of the POA either.
Can it be I'm confused with what it states. It may be in my best interest to let a social worker handle this through the courts. (It indicates no hydration, no feeding tube, Do not
resuscitate --- all that he wants). It seems to me what he is trying to do with the POA is
exactly what he is doing not to protect himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back