Power of attorney vs. order of protection

Pamaevans

Jurisdiction
Washington
Farher is hospital dying of stage 4 lung cancer. My sister has power of attorney. She has missused that trust. I went down and got an order if protection. She was served. However, she is still able to be at the hospital with dad. I am not allowed. How is this legal?

How is this legal?

If you think you'd be a better caregiver for your father, you'll have to seek guardianship.

If you obtain guardianship, you trump her Durable Medical POA.

You can't do it yourself, you'll need the services of a licensed attorney, and you'll shell out between $3-$5K, if you're lucky.

Why you're banned from the hospital probably has to do with the squabble over father.

That little incident might also cause you not to get guardianship.

It can't hurt to discuss it with a couple local attorneys.

My sister has power of attorney.

Power of attorney for what purpose(s)? For the time being, I'll assume this is a medical POA.

She has missused that trust.

How so?

I went down and got an order if protection.

Against your sister, I assume, but what does this order restrain her from doing?

she is still able to be at the hospital with dad. I am not allowed. How is this legal?

How could we possibly know? If your sister has a medical POA, then it's likely up to her to decide who may and may not visit with your father. Whether the order of protection you mentioned has any bearing on the situation obviously depends on what it says.

Power of attorney for what purpose(s)? For the time being, I'll assume this is a medical POA.

How so?

Against your sister, I assume, but what does this order restrain her from doing?

How could we possibly know? If your sister has a medical POA, then it's likely up to her to decide who may and may not visit with your father. Whether the order of protection you mentioned has any bearing on the situation obviously depends on what it says.
The order of protection is to keep her away from my father because she is mentally and emotionally and financially abusing him.

The order of protection is to keep her away from my father because she is mentally and emotionally and financially abusing him.

How did you obtain a protective order to keep anyone away from your father? You don't have standing to do that.

How did you obtain a protective order to keep anyone away from your father? You don't have standing to do that.
He is being abused by my sister. I have many witnesses. So yes I went to the court house and filed one. He is afraid of her. She is keeping my father away from everyone. Not allowing him any intravenous nutrition. He is starving to death. It's bad enough that he has cancer but to be starving also. Come on that is abuse. She also has taken many of belongings and taken them to her home. He knows what is going on and can't do anything about it. So I am.

He is starving to death.

There is a WA state agency that protects the elderly.

Make a report, the investigators and social workers will do for seniors what is done for kiddies.

Report the violations and abuse to

"Washington State Department of Social and Health Services = Aging and Long-Term Support Administration"!

Adult Protective Services receives and investigates reports of allegations of abuse, abandonment, neglect, self-neglect and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults living in the community and in facilities.

Adult Abuse and Prevention | DSHS

There is a WA state agency that protects the elderly.

Make a report, the investigators and social workers will do for seniors what is done for kiddies.

Report the violations and abuse to

"Washington State Department of Social and Health Services = Aging and Long-Term Support Administration"!

Adult Protective Services receives and investigates reports of allegations of abuse, abandonment, neglect, self-neglect and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults living in the community and in facilities.

Adult Abuse and Prevention | DSHS
Thank you.

Back