Power of attorney boundaries

Adelheid237

Jurisdiction
California
My father is in assisted living. He made his cousin power of attorney when we were kids..She came to my home when I was at work and unlocked his office took all the legal paperwork took our family vehicle.

I need help she is trying to sell our mobile home and had our power utilities turned off. I went to pay it they wont let me pay my pg&e.

I need help I dont know where to start

My father is in assisted living. He made his cousin power of attorney when we were kids..She came to my home when I was at work and unlocked his office took all the legal paperwork took our family vehicle.

I need help she is trying to sell our mobile home and had our power utilities turned off. I went to pay it they wont let me pay my pg&e.

What does the POA have to do with you having your power turned off? Is the bill in your fathers name? What reason did they give you for not allowing you to pay the bill?

Is "our family car" in Dad's name? Is the mobile home in Dad's name? How old are you?

Maybe you start by contacting these fine folks. tell them your story, ask if they can help you.

Every California County has an Adult Protective Services (APS) agency to help elder adults (65 years and older) and dependent adults (18-64 who are disabled), when these adults are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes, apartments, hotels or hospitals.

For whom:
These services are available to any elder or dependent adult regardless of income.

Highlights:
* Services are available to any person, regardless of income.
* Services are available in all 58 counties.

CA Department of Social Services, Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services

To report abuse, call this number 1-833-401-0832 and when prompted enter your 5-digit zip code to be connected to the Adult Protective Services in your county, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. There are many types of abuse.

These lawyers MIGHT be able to offer you a few tips:

What Is Elder Financial Abuse Under California Law? | Dolan Law Firm

How to Recognize and Report Elder Abuse in California | (2020) Guide, Tips, Info - Berman Lawyers

Elder Abuse - Stone Sallus

You're going to have to provide a lot more information. Please answer each of the questions below.

He made his cousin power of attorney when we were kids.

Just so we have the terminology correct, a power of attorney (a "POA") is a document by which one person (the principal) gives another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) authority to conduct certain transactions with third-parties on behalf of the principal. When you say that your father "made his cousin power of attorney," I assume what you meant is that your father signed a POA that appointed his cousin as attorney-in-fact. Unfortunately, what you didn't tell us at all is the scope of the POA. A POA can be very broad, or it could be limited to a single transaction (e.g., I could give my co-worker power of attorney for the limited purpose of selling my car.

When did your father execute this POA, and why did he do it?

She came to my home when I was at work and unlocked his office took all the legal paperwork took our family vehicle.

When did this occur? Why is your father's office located in your home? How did she gain access to your home in order to do this? What does "all the legal paperwork" mean? In whose name(s) is/are the "family vehicle" registered?

I need help she is trying to sell our mobile home

In whose name(s) is/are the mobile home registered?

and had our power utilities turned off.

How did she manage to do that?

Back