possible wrongful accusation of theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby33097

My daughter was at work and got cornered by her bosses and accused of stealing cigaretts. They threatened her when she denied it so she pannicked and made up a story that she was going to buy them for me but did not pay yet. The theratened to call the cops and she got scared and they told her they would not if she signed a statement saying she was stealing them. She did this and they fired her. No one notified me. She came home crying and told me the story, my husband and i went back to the store to ask to see the video of her stealing them. They refused to show it to us and gave us a million excuses. I am not sure if we should just let this go or push the issue to get to the truth i am curious as to what my options may be?

As you tell it, all signs indicate that your daughter did take the cigarettes.
Whether she took them or not they can fire her for merely suspecting she took them.
They don't have to notify you of anything and they don't have to show you any videos.
I suggest you have a good talk with your daughter and get to the truth of the matter.
Innocent people don't make up excuses as she did.

I work as a retail theft consultant and answer questions like your daily. No they have no obligation to let you see video if any exist. The only way you would be able to view video is if there was a court action and you saw video via discovery. Your child was under NO obligation to give or sign any admissions! Typically Loss Prevention personnel use scare tactics to get this confession to ensure they have solid case. She now is on record with her former employer that she was fired for theft. This will hurt chances at future employment. It is also possible that the store belongs to any one or more of the retail theft databases that exist meaning any other subscriber can view this info even if employer does not give it out.

The employer did not do anything illegal. She already signed a statement that she took the cigarettes. She (& you) need to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back