Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Possible Statuatory Rape Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongplace

I was to briefly visit a friend at her hotel room, but when I got there, she had to step out for a moment, leaving me alone with a girl I did not know. Soon after my friend left, police came in the room and I was found (23 years old) with what I learned was a runaway 17 year old girl. This was news to me. The runaway was wearing a towel because she was either about to shower or had just showered. I had my shirt off due to just finishing work and being sweaty. The runaway rushe me into the bathroom to hide when the police knocked although I felt it wasn't a good idea to hide, I was confused. The police came close to arresting me for Statuatory rape, but eventually let me go saying "we will let the state handle it." So my question is can I be accused of Statuatory rape even if it wasnt my room, and also, what do they mean by lettin state handle it? Thanks so much. I have a clean record and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I was to briefly visit a friend at her hotel room, but when I got there, she had to step out for a moment, leaving me alone with a girl I did not know. Soon after my friend left, police came in the room and I was found (23 years old) with what I learned was a runaway 17 year old girl. This was news to me. The runaway was wearing a towel because she was either about to shower or had just showered. I had my shirt off due to just finishing work and being sweaty. The runaway rushe me into the bathroom to hide when the police knocked although I felt it wasn't a good idea to hide, I was confused. The police came close to arresting me for Statuatory rape, but eventually let me go saying "we will let the state handle it." So my question is can I be accused of Statuatory rape even if it wasnt my room, and also, what do they mean by lettin state handle it? Thanks so much. I have a clean record and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It means you'll probably be visited by some nice people representing the TBI.
Most likely as I type this, the state AG is investigating the matter deciding when (maybe IF) those nice TBI folks will pay you a call to discuss this stuff.

Here's a tip, if they ask you any questions, simply say, "Sorry, I politely decline to discuss this with you without my attorney being present. I wish to remain silent."
No matter what, don't slip and say anything about that incident.
Please, don't' say anything about taking your shirt off.
You're potentially looking at some serious charges. No need for me to spell it out, you already were told by those locals when they raided that room.
Never try to explain anything to the police.
First of all, it won't do anything but further incriminate you.
Nothing you said made you appear not guilty, or even less guilty.
Blabbing always makes you look MORE guilty, so simply stand silent, protected by Miranda.

It means you'll probably be visited by some nice people representing the TBI.
Most likely as I type this, the state AG is investigating the matter deciding when (maybe IF) those nice TBI folks will pay you a call to discuss this stuff.

Here's a tip, if they ask you any questions, simply say, "Sorry, I politely decline to discuss this with you without my attorney being present. I wish to remain silent."
No matter what, don't slip and say anything about that incident.
Please, don't' say anything about taking your shirt off.
You're potentially looking at some serious charges. No need for me to spell it out, you already were told by those locals when they raided that room.
Never try to explain anything to the police.
First of all, it won't do anything but further incriminate you.
Nothing you said made you appear not guilty, or even less guilty.
Blabbing always makes you look MORE guilty, so simply stand silent, protected by Miranda.

Thank you for your response. So they will most likely call and not show up at my house? And when they call, just politely refuse as you instructed, correct? Final question: do you know how long I will need to live in paranoia over this? As in: if I don't hear anything for a month, should I assume I won't be investigated? That is assuming they don't call and actually tell me I am off the hook. Thanks again.

Thank you for your response. So they will most likely call and not show up at my house? And when they call, just politely refuse as you instructed, correct? Final question: do you know how long I will need to live in paranoia over this? As in: if I don't hear anything for a month, should I assume I won't be investigated? That is assuming they don't call and actually tell me I am off the hook. Thanks again.

LOL, no sir, they won't call - as in use a telephone - to speak to you.
They'll visit your home, maybe place of work.
If they do call, it'll be to invite you to visit them at their offices.

No matter what, politely refuse.
Oh, they'll use tricks, threats, and even treats to get you to blab.
Be on guard and ware, all they want to do is get you locked into a statement.
Many times they'll say, "We want your side of the story. Help yourself." LOL
No matter what, politely refuse, and eventually say, "Sorry, I have to leave. I have another important appointment."
Whatever you do, don't go to their offices.
If they come to your home, don't open the door and let them inside.

In the meantime, you might want to arrange for an attorney, just in case.
In some cases, they arrive with an arrest warrant in hand.
In your state, they can book you for 48 or 72 hours to further investigate the case.
That's 48-72 hours in jail.
In some cases, they arrive with an arrest and a search warrant.
They'll likely be looking for ANYTHING that can tie you to the hotel and the alleged visit.
That's why it's important to remain silent.
They might also take your computer, if say, CraigsList or something of that nature was used to arrange an appointment.

I can't tell you what to do, but some people backed into a corner have suddenly discovered computers, laptops, clothing went missing. Odd, huh?

How long will the suspense go on? Hard to tell, but 30 days is a good sign without contact. Although, they likely have a year to bring these charges.
I'd say if you've heard nothing by summer, you're going to okay.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the assistance. I am now in the process of contacting an attorney. I've never been so afraid in my life and I have so much to lose. My heart has been pounding since the incident. I have never in my life had to deal with the law. This is absolutely deviststing. I keep wondering why they didn't just arrest me on the spot though.

Thanks again for the assistance. I am now in the process of contacting an attorney. I've never been so afraid in my life and I have so much to lose. My heart has been pounding since the incident. I have never in my life had to deal with the law. This is absolutely deviststing. I keep wondering why they didn't just arrest me on the spot though.

At the time of the alleged encounter the officers might have concluded they didn't have the probable cause to make an arrest. On this occasion, having ascertained your identity and absent violence, a decision might have been made to let it go. Or, to pursue it further by complaint and warrant, or to allow the DA to evaluate things and decide to charge or indict.

The other parties may have said nothing happened, just as you suggested, all was innocent.

No one can say for sure what the next days will bring, just be alert.

If you are charged, it'll only happen if the runaway claims you did something.

The woman who disappeared is also someone you might want to avoid.

Sounds like you stepped right in it.
I'm not going to say you are being dishonest, but I suspect very few people will believe this story you are giving.
Since you were not arrested I suggest you stop telling any stories at all and put this behind you. Stay away from juveniles. They are called jail bait for a reason.

Thank you all so much for your responses. Granted this is only the second day after the incident, I still have heard nothing. I have been calling around for an attorney and I think I have a good contact now. I just wish I knew if they decided to let it go or not because the suspense is killing me. I can hardly eat.

Thank you all so much for your responses. Granted this is only the second day after the incident, I still have heard nothing. I have been calling around for an attorney and I think I have a good contact now. I just wish I knew if they decided to let it go or not because the suspense is killing me. I can hardly eat.

No matter what happens, you've learned a valuable lesson.
That's a a very big won, if nothing more.

Maybe you will luck out & nothing will come of it. if you are arrested, then you will need your lawyer contact.

And next time you visit your friend and there is a half naked teenage you do not know in the room, do everyone a favor and leave. I can't even begin to imagine what you were thinking that you wouldn't question a stranger wearing nothing but a towel, let alone why your friend would leave you with her if you were there to visit the friend. It is customary when visiting anyone, to at least not show up sweaty and shirtless. It is hard to believe that anyone would be this naïve and that is going to be your downfall here.

My attorney made some calls today, and so far two people, including a detective, haven't heard of me. However, since this is only the third day after the incident, it is possible that it simply hasn't been filed yet. My attorney is awaiting a call from the sergeant who was on duty at the time of the incident. He will certainly be able to say if I am being investigated or not. Again, thank you all for your responses.

I hate to burst that bubble, but they are under no legal obligation to admit or deny that an investigation is under way. I can think of a dozen reasons NOT to tell your lawyer that you are being investigated, and no reason at all to give your attorney the heads' up. If they are investigating you, they will contact you in their good time ... no reason to give you advanced warning so that you can try and contact potential witnesses and compare and conspire to arrange stories if you were so inclined. Quite frankly, I would either deny knowing anything about the matter to your attorney, or, simply say that it is not our policy to discuss the status of possible investigations.

So, even if they say they are not investigating, they might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back