Consumer Fraud Possible Phone Fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photokid

I'll get right into this one.

Today my phone service (T-Mobile) stopped working period. Alarmed I called customer service to find out my phone account had been suspended due to irregular usage amounts. My phone is the 2nd line in our plan, with my dad's being the main line.

The customer service representative told me that our accounts had made many international calls which were not covered in our unlimited minutes plan. The total owed is $6000+.

Now come the questionable aspects. Firstly, my dad does make international calls, however he uses an international phone card system issued from, what he told me, was a guy who automatically connects you through once you call his number; apparently this business seems pretty legitimate.

The thing is, the call times shown on the statement (T-mobile only sent a portion of the full balance) could not have been made by him as he would be driving to work at 7-8am. The calls would last anywhere from 20-90 minutes.

The other thing is, the phone numbers that are shown are none of the contacts he has called.

Lastly, T-mobile did NOT send us the full statement this month, and I'm worried they haven't been the previous months. I always thought they were forced to send customers all information regarding your account, but that may be my fault for assuming.

Our hypothesis is that the proxy international service is billing our T-mobile account because someone has either obtained the information and using it to make their own int'l calls OR the business itself is doing something funny.

Sorry for the long post, but this is the situation I'm faced with as a college student and my dad having just gotten a job after being laid off months ago. I'm skeptical putting this in the scam section so if there is a better place to post I'd be glad to. Any and all advice appreciated, thanks!

Chris

P.S. we're not able to see account information because we can't enter the website due to lack of password. The password can be sent via text message but the phones have been locked. Talk about a catch 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back