Computer Crimes, Hacking Possible misdemeanor?

Some_old_guy

Jurisdiction
California
Here's the scenario. I'm your typical internet troll. The problem is that I was pretending to be employed at a place that doesn't employee me. Now this same place is doing a formal investigation because of people complaining about racists and homophobic posts that I made. Too vague yet?

I never issed any racist posts from their internet.

I DID claim to work there. But I never (directly?) used a staff members name. So this might be the grounds to any possible charges? I also did issue a few homophobic comments. But those comments where issued from the free wifi at the laundrymat.

And yes, I do have a record. And yes, I have been to court a few times.

The only thing I know is how they would pursue charges across county lines.

So now, how much trouble am I in? Because I'm assuming the board that I trolled people from is going to cooperate.

Also, how are they going to come after me since I'm homeless? Will they just issue a warrant? And if they issue a warrant, will I be arrested if I get stopped by the local police? My voter registration is registered at a place that I lived at 6 years ago. My bank and DMV stuff go to the homeless shelter. As for where I stay at, well, it's basically under a tree.

As for my trolling, they are taken from any 17 free WiFi spots that I use when I walk around town. That doesn't matter though because all of it was done from a phone whose billing is under my name.

Last edited:
What do you mean "a place?" Are we talking about a law enforcement or other government agency, or some private company?

"County lines" isn't going to mean much with regard to pursuing criminals. In some cases, even state lines aren't going to mean much.

If they do get a warrant, they will look for you. Having old addresses on your ids will only be a momentary hold up. They will look for you, it's what the police do.

I was pretending to be employed at a place that doesn't employee me.

In what context? Why?

I never issed any racist posts from their internet.

What does "from their internet" mean?

I DID claim to work there.

To whom did you make this claim and in what context?

But I never (directly?) used a staff members name.

What does this mean? Why is the word "directly" in parentheses and followed by a question mark?

So this might be the grounds to any possible charges?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask. If you're seeking an assessment of whether you might be subject to criminal charges, you need to provide relevant facts, but you should be careful doing that in a public forum.

I also did issue a few homophobic comments. But those comments where issued from the free wifi at the laundrymat.

"Issued"? Also, if making homophobic comments on the internet were a crime, we'd have a much worse problem with overcrowded jails and prisons than we already have.

how much trouble am I in?

Unless you want to explain what you did in some sort of coherent manner, we have no way of knowing.

I'm assuming the board that I trolled people from is going to cooperate.

Cooperate with whom?

how are they going to come after me since I'm homeless? Will they just issue a warrant? And if they issue a warrant, will I be arrested if I get stopped by the local police?

I'm not sure who "they" are. The police can obtain a warrant from a judge if they believe a crime has been committed. If that happens, then of course you'd be subject to arrest. That you're homeless only means you might be more difficult to find.

I put in a public forum profile that I worked for the state of California. However, I didn't give a specific name to myself. In other words, I wasn't posing or pretending to be a certain individual. Likewise, I never pretended to be a law enforcement officer because that would get me into a lot of legal trouble.

I put in a public forum profile that I worked for the state of California. However, I didn't give a specific name to myself. In other words, I wasn't posing or pretending to be a certain individual. Likewise, I never pretended to be a law enforcement officer because that would get me into a lot of legal trouble.

The less you say, the better for you.

It all depends on exactly what someone alleges was TYPED.

Unless you confess, which I've always thought to be very stupid, no one can prove YOU typed a damn thing.

What can be proven to some degree, is that words were typed on a specific device.

Don't respond, don't explain, just stop and THINK.

If the police do come knocking, you'd be stupid to ADMIT to typing the words.

You MIGHT be charged, but all that can be proven is that certain words were typed on the phone you own.

The place to defend is in a courtroom, not a little police interrogation room.

Hold your tongue, dude, use your right to remain silent.

No one ever talks their way out of an arrest, but smart people walk their way out of a courtroom.

Only you can prevent yourself from doing stupid shit.

You didn't answer most of the questions I asked. However, as I said before, simply making stupid comments on the internet isn't a crime.

My suggestion is that you discontinue with the stupid, childish behavior.

In what context? Why?

I had just put in a public profile that I was employed by a state agency.

What does "from their internet" mean?
From the place that I never worked at.

To whom did you make this claim and in what context?
I'm not that sure who made the claim. All I got was a message on the internet board that someone had contacted my made up employer to say that I was making racist and homophobic comments.

What does this mean? Why is the word "directly" in parentheses and followed by a question mark?

I said I was an employee. But I never specified a full real name.

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. If you intended a question, I cannot discern what you intended to ask. If you're seeking an assessment of whether you might be subject to criminal charges, you need to provide relevant facts, but you should be careful doing that in a public forum.

"Issued"? Also, if making homophobic comments on the internet were a crime, we'd have a much worse problem with overcrowded jails and prisons than we already have.

Unless you want to explain what you did in some sort of coherent manner, we have no way of knowing.

Cooperate with whom?
I'm assuming the internet bbs is cooperating with the place that I pretended to be employed at.

I'm not sure who "they" are. The police can obtain a warrant from a judge if they believe a crime has been committed. If that happens, then of course you'd be subject to arrest. That you're homeless only means you might be more difficult to find.

You didn't answer the questions. WHAT sort of employer? There's a world of difference saying you work for Microsoft versus saying you work for the FBI.

BBSes don't typically have any authority or inclination to investigate things. I think you need to take a chill pill. Try to avoid lying in the future. It's typically only criminal when you do so to :

1. Harm someone else.
2. Obtain something of value by false pretense.
3. Represent yourself as a public official (typically law enforcement).

Otherwise, it's perfectly legal for me to post that I worked for the Army, was a University Administrator at a major state University, founded a company that was sold for $200MM< was a Paramedic, Firefighter, pilot, radio operator, book editor, worked in a recording studio, for an FM broadcast station, ran twelve marathons, and held a Top Secret clearance.... oh wait, never mind, I did all of those things.

Back