Possible lawsuit over medical debt..

B

BazB44

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hello, back in October 2015 I had to get moles removed at a dermatology place. I couldnt afford to pay the $663 bill right away because I ended up losing my job, I'm a low income individual. When I eventually got a job, I began to pay back debts I owed and the doctors office "referred" my account to an attorney for collection recently. Just yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the attorney office saying "If my account is not paid or otherwise resolved, we have been instructed by our client to review the matter for possible legal action. As of the date of this letter you $958.33." I am being charged a $265 attorney fee almost. I called the lawyer and argued that I had no job and couldnt afford to pay, but would pay the $663 immediately. She argued back saying I owe $958 because of attorney fees".

Just today I went online to the dermatology office website and paid the $663 bill, and it was accepted and I got a receipt. I printed the receipt. My question now is, what happens? Will all of this drop, or can the attorney still come after me for attorney fees? I wasnt aware they could even do that, considering I signed forms with the doctor for $663 not the lawyer.

Whether you owe the attorney fees depends on what you signed when you had your treatment.

If you signed one of those patient payment guarantee forms (likely) that has an attorney fee provision you would owe the attorney fee to the medical provider if the medical provider actually incurred the fee.

You'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. If you get a bill for the additional amount I suggest you pay it or risk getting your credit trashed or sued for it, which will only generate more attorney fees.

Back