Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Possible emancipation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetongue04

I'm 19 yrs. old and my 16 yr old girlfriend is 3 mo. pregnant. Statutory rape charges are not a concern of mine since I had her school social worker check on it. I was told that since our ages are close and it was consentual that it would be reported but I wouldnt be arrested. Now to my actual point. We just told her parents about this. Her mom has completely lost it. She hates the world, wont be in the same house as my girlfriend, and has taken to drinking. Her father took it fairly well at first. When he saw what it was doing to her mother he started getting mad at my girlfriend. They want to force her to get an abortion. We will NOT have an abortion. I realize that they can't force her to get an abortion but this is tearing my girlfriend apart emotionally. There is a chance that they may try to send her out to New York to live with her brother. This obviously is unacceptable to us because we want to be together to raise our child. There is a reported (to her school social worker) history of physical abuse in her past. She has a great job making good money, going to school, and would have a place to live. What are the chances of her being emancipated based on them trying to seperate father and child, the abuse, and her current financial situation? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You have not indicated what state you are in. Not all states will emancipate a minor at all; of those that do not all will emancipate a 16 year old; and even if your state will, the chances that a judge will think emancipating a pregnant 16 year old is in her best interest is pretty darned slim. Emancipation of a minor happens rarely for a reason.

Realistically I'd be taking possible emancipation out of your plans because it's not at all likely to happen.

I live in Wisconsin. I really dont even know if Wisconsin emancipates minors at all. Thank you for your input on the situation. Anyone else have anything?

firetongue04 said:
I live in Wisconsin. I really dont even know if Wisconsin emancipates minors at all. Thank you for your input on the situation. Anyone else have anything?

Are you sure the social worker really knows the laws of consent in your state? All the searches I made about the age of consent in Wisconsin revealed the age 18. I also became pregnant at the age of 16 years back. I simply moved out on my own without any legal sanction, but it never was disputed by my parent. I even had my SSI directly sent to me by filing with the local SS board for my benefits to be sent directly to me instead of my mother "in care" for me. This was in NewYork in the late 70's.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think that the social worker may be mistaken. I was pregnant at a younger age than that, from someone the same age via consensual sex and I was charged. You may wish to look into that further. I know that if she refuses to disclose who the father is, there is nothing they can do, but then she can't put you on the birth certificate either.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back