Possible demotion

AMarq

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi There,

Let me preface I'm not in the sueing stages yet. I wanted to throw this question out there for possible future advice.
I had been working at a CUNY college for many years in an IT Assistant title. In 2019 I saw an opportunity at another CUNY college for a higher title (IT Associate) so interviewed and was eventually hired and transferred to the new school in the new title. A few months at my new employment the school admin wanted to unofficially change my title and they did. A month or so later they moved me and another employee with my same title to campus services. A few months after that now our positions are under review by central CUNY. No CUNY School really has IT jobs under campus services. Now I face possible demotion or title change and lower income from the title I was initially hired for. I'm a good employee so they are not trying to fire me but the reason I applied for the position was to grow under IT and now that doesn't seem possible. I'm starting to feel regret leaving my previous CUNY school. Do I have any legal recourse for a possible lawsuit?
I look forward to your kind response.
Thank you!

Do I have any legal recourse for a possible lawsuit?

Your question is impossible to answer unless one has a working knowledge of the laws and state regulations applicable to CUNY employees, and I doubt any such person will happen upon your post.

If you worked in the private sector and the same things happened, you'd have no basis to sue.

I wanted to throw this question out there for possible future advice.

Just a thought, but have you spoken to your immediate supervisor or manager about your concerns?

Have you spoken to your HR rep?

If you belong to the union, have you spoken to your shop steward or onsite union rep?

I see no reason to sue, unless what has been done (or will be done) violates the collective bargaining agreement, if you belong to some union.

Back