Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Possessions from vehicle being held by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

codon_blue

Two nights ago I was headed to visit a friend at his storage unit which is open 24 hrs a day when I got pulled over for not having a light on my license plate, and I got a ticket for $101.00. I was upset about this and when I didn't see my friend's vehicle at the storage unit, I turned around in the gravel kinda hard and threw up some gravel. Well, as I was leaving I noticed the same unmarked police car that had pulled me over before was down the end of the street and were heading for me. I assume they witnessed my little brodie but they didn't turn their lights on, so I made a couple of turns, parked my truck, and walked away towards the main intersection. I did hear the officers call out my name although I pretended not to hear them and kept on walking through a used car lot and on towards a friend of mine's house. In my haste to exit my truck, I accidentally left behind my wallet, cell phone and house keys, but I did manage to put the truck key in my pocket. While I was at my friend's house discussing what had just happened, the phone rang and it was the police officers using my cell phone, and I presume they checked my last few calls to get my friend's number. Anyway, they stated that they had my possessions, and had dismantled my truck so it was not driveable. They said that if I wanted my things back I would have to come to the police station before 2 am and talk to them. They said that I would be charge with criminal trespassing in the second degree for walking through the car lot. They wouldn't say whether or not they would arrest me, so I never showed up. However, I did look up some municipal laws as well as call the owner of the car lot to get permission for my walking across his parking lot, which he gave me. The car lot is not fenced nor does it have any "no trespassing" signs posted. I had a friend take me back to my truck the next day and it took me several hours to figure out and fix all the stupid things the police did to my truck to make it not run. Anyway, I was wondering if the police had a right to get into my truck and take my belongings like they did. Especially considering the fact that I was not under arrest at that time, nor had I done anything to warrant an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back